Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 02:41 PM

Re: India Looking Good

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
No, while in the EU the UK vetoed a trade deal with india. Now the EU is negotiating again with india, soon to reach a comprehensive trade deal.
Now that brexit reality has hit, is the UK now prepared to accept the condition (letting in indian workers unlimited) they vetoed for?
I would have thought that after 40 years or so the EU would have made some progress.

The UK on the other hand has signed up over 60 trade agreements in about a year.

As far as the EU trade negotiations with India are concerned, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting. I doubt anyone can trust the EU now after their recent performance over Ireland, vaccines, direct control of industry, the handling of the pandemic, pandemic recovery funding and just about everything else thats been a disaster over the past year or so.

No country should make trade agreements with unelected leaders.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I would have thought that after 40 years or so the EU would have made some progress.

The UK on the other hand has signed up over 60 trade agreements in about a year.

As far as the EU trade negotiations with India are concerned, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting. I doubt anyone can trust the EU now after their recent performance over Ireland, vaccines, direct control of industry, the handling of the pandemic, pandemic recovery funding and just about everything else thats been a disaster over the past year or so.
60 roll overs, and still not near the number you had as member of the EU. Oh my!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 02:43 PM

Nobody sensible ever said anything about Brexit was going to be easy.
What happens is down to us.
So far it's looking more promising that I'd hoped, for a number of reasons.

If you're just wanting to ping-pong pointless comments Solasch you feel free, but it will be without further encouragement from me.

The EU has already made itself look foolish and you're not exactly helping to change that perspective by doing what amounts to little more than quibbling.
I have better things to do with my time.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
60 roll overs, and still not near the number you had as member of the EU. Oh my!
Not quite true though Solasch. The EU has around 8 more trade deals than the UK and considering most of them are yet to be ratified I think the EU's claims are mostly debunked.

According to Wikipedia, the UK has ratified 63 of the 70 or so "trade deals" it had as an EU member on its own terms in around a year, so it won't be long before we have more trade deals in place than all 27 countries that make up the EU.

Furthermore, I would imagine the trade deals will need to be renegotiated with the EU because the trade deficit of the UK was an integral part of those deals with the EU. Now the UK is on its own, we can make separate deals with these countries (as we have done), meaning the EU now has to find better terms with them to compete with us.

Have fun with that one Solasch.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Nobody sensible ever said anything about Brexit was going to be easy.
What happens is down to us.
So far it's looking more promising that I'd hoped, for a number of reasons.

So you secretly DID believe what others stubbornly dismissed as project fear!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top