Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 09:16 PM

Re: Germany .... Ouch !

Seems trade has somewhat collapsed between the U.K. & Germany

https://t.co/roJ8OWOUj5

Time will tell how much is COVID related and how much is down to Brexit and what sectors are suffering
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->

Time will tell how much is COVID related and how much is down to Brexit and what sectors are suffering
Well l suspect that British exporters have decided to find new markets
Bachory ?
And British importers have decided to find new suppliers ?
Only to be expected imo??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->

I had read about this elsewhere a while ago and not just with Germany but with France too, whose exports to the UK are suffering.
Particularly foods and wine IIRC which might explain why we imported more Oz wine.

Regarding the rest, quite true and time will indeed tell.
But there are a few more factors than covid involved such as the ongoing shipping container problem and higher shipping prices too, and the quantity of goods stockpiled here in the UK prior to Brexit in the expectation of problems.

There's also the decreased demand for goods like cars which must count for quite a bit too because UK car sales fell by 40% in January and 35.5% in February.
That surely must go some way towards explaing the "collapse" in trading, though of course as the phrasiology of our media suggests you're probably not going to see much in the way of a realistic explanation for their headline-grabbing part-truth stories.
Especially in the likes of the BBC whose bias with all things Brexit-related is blatant, sadly; we all surely remember their reporters waiting in vain for weeks at Dover in January with so little to report that eventually they they resorted to falsified photographs to manufacture a story.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 10:44 AM

It also depends on the types of goods bought from Germany and by who. The majority of furloughed workers are in the private sector and as such have had their incomes cut. As businesses closed up during the pandemic, quite naturally they aren't going to replace their fleet of German cars when there is so much uncertainty and profits have taken a nose dive.

For the public sector - they don't tend to buy expensive German cars anyway. French wine has historically been seen as over priced and been impacted by cheaper wines from Australia, Brazil and Chile (it's been an issue for the French for years - people see French wine as expensive so avoid it in the supermarket aisles). We even grow our own quality wines here in the UK and due to Brexit, there has already been a "buy British" campaign by the supermarkets - not because of loyalty to the UK, but to protect their supply chains if the worst comes to the worst and they can't import from outside the UK, so even way back in 2020 the imports from the EU were falling for food and drink. Supermarkets will need to renegotiate supply chains once the pandemic subsides so this will also take time.

Popularity of open markets has increased due to the pandemic because, firstly, everywhere is shut and there are only the supermarkets open in most cases and people have tended to go to the open markets instead as the weather gets better and people move outside. Markets tend to sell local produce from local farms or from their own farms.

I noticed a big hike in home delivery market veggie boxes in the run up to Christmas (I delivered loads for my friend who owns a fruit and veg business) because people weren't convinced the supermarkets would have stock in the run up to Christmas because of COVID and Brexit, so bought local instead.

Once the economy opens up again I'm sure that we will be buying German cars again and French wine, cheese and Italian Prosecco.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 02:28 PM

As always there are two sides to every story.

Whilst undoubtedly there are those furloughed or without jobs who are as a consequence seeing incomes cut it's been reported that six million British people have become "accidental savers" because of covid.
Less transport costs; less eating out; less holidays etc. etc. etc. = less expenditure.
That might well lead to a "boom" as things start opening up more, and not just here.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifest...kdown-23524115

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56210579

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/one...-the-pandemic/
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I had read about this elsewhere a while ago and not just with Germany but with France too, whose exports to the UK are suffering.
Particularly foods and wine IIRC which might explain why we imported more Oz wine.

Regarding the rest, quite true and time will indeed tell.
But there are a few more factors than covid involved such as the ongoing shipping container problem and higher shipping prices too, and the quantity of goods stockpiled here in the UK prior to Brexit in the expectation of problems.

There's also the decreased demand for goods like cars which must count for quite a bit too because UK car sales fell by 40% in January and 35.5% in February.
That surely must go some way towards explaing the "collapse" in trading, though of course as the phrasiology of our media suggests you're probably not going to see much in the way of a realistic explanation for their headline-grabbing part-truth stories.
Especially in the likes of the BBC whose bias with all things Brexit-related is blatant, sadly; we all surely remember their reporters waiting in vain for weeks at Dover in January with so little to report that eventually they they resorted to falsified photographs to manufacture a story.
Yet many see the BBC news as biased towards Brexit and it’s elsewhere in the corporation that is left leaning

Getting back to trade it’s being reported the the balance of trade deficit has doubled with the EU which could be a disaster if not addressed given our huge COVID related debt.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 11:24 PM

I have nowt against the Germans. I detest the Frogs for obvious reasons, but I have found the Germans I have met - personally as well as online - as decent, trustworthy people.

I'd suggest that, although it is often said that Germany effectively rules the EU, it is quite possible that the Germans are becoming as fed up with the EU dictators as we are.

If that is true, and if by some miracle Germany also pulls out of the EU, that will leave 'our friends' in France to carry the can.

I can't wait!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have nowt against the Germans. I detest the Frogs for obvious reasons, but I have found the Germans I have met - personally as well as online - as decent, trustworthy people.

I'd suggest that, although it is often said that Germany effectively rules the EU, it is quite possible that the Germans are becoming as fed up with the EU dictators as we are.

If that is true, and if by some miracle Germany also pulls out of the EU, that will leave 'our friends' in France to carry the can.

I can't wait!
Ha! A delicious thought JBR ...we can live in hope
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 09:16 AM

I judge people by their personality, not where they live!
It is the politicians who lead the country that are responsible for any bad feelings between the UK and Germany or France.

Maybe we should blame the original concept of the EU, that tried to con us into believing that it was the next best step to extending the common market.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 09:29 AM

Hi

Germany is in a much better financial situation than the UK with a much better level of Public Services.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top