Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 11:05 PM

Do You Ever Cook Yourself A ‘School Dinner’?

Then other day, l just fancied a minced beef pie with onion and carrot with shortcrust pastry on top, like we had had school.

I made one and l had it with sweetheart pointy cabbage, mashed potatoes and gravy. It was ever so nice and nostalgic!

Not all school dinners were nice but my favourites were the minced beef pie, and battered cod.

Did you have a favourite school dinner or pudding and do you ever cook something like it at home?

I didn’t like chocolate pudding with pink custard, or spotted dick! Yuk!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 11:25 PM

Re: Do You Ever Cook Yourself A ‘School Dinner’?

Jam roly poly with custard, but I have never tried making it. How did you make your sweetheart cabbage?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 11:38 PM

oh and we used to have chocolate pudding with chocolate custard. That was super yummy. Pink custard with it would be sadistic.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 11:40 PM

Roast ..
any pudding
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Then other day, l just fancied a minced beef pie with onion and carrot with shortcrust pastry on top, like we had had school.

I made one and l had it with sweetheart pointy cabbage, mashed potatoes and gravy. It was ever so nice and nostalgic!

Not all school dinners were nice but my favourites were the minced beef pie, and battered cod.

Did you have a favourite school dinner or pudding and do you ever cook something like it at home?

I didn’t like chocolate pudding with pink custard, or spotted dick! Yuk!
I used to love that mince beef pie. My mum used to work in kitchens for meals on wheels and she often brought it home if there was some left over.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
oh and we used to have chocolate pudding with chocolate custard. That was super yummy. Pink custard with it would be sadistic.
I liked the chocolate custard but preferred the mint.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-03-2021, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I liked the chocolate custard but preferred the mint.
Mint?! You must have gone to the posh school.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-03-2021, 12:15 AM

There was a kind of cheese pie that we had. It was like a flan type thing although not a flan. I've searched for it on the net as wanted to make it but cannot work out what it might be. It was more like a cottage cheese type flavour and maybe it had potatoes inside. I used to love it.

The worst thing they used to give us was lumpy mashed potatoes that were in an ice cream type scoop portion. Only they didn't taste anything like the potatoes we had with a meal at home. They didn't taste of anything at all.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 12:25 AM

I love making pies also. Nice simple pastry. Nothing fancy. I make them in some iron ramakins I have. 8 cm deep and 10 cm in diameter. Everything except chicken. Nice fresh beef, pork, lamb or seafood. I make the pastry and freeze it so I always have plenty to use. When you do this it's easy and quick to just roll some out and make the pie. If I'm on a roll I'll make up to 10 or fifteen pies and freeze them for later. My favourite dessert usually consist of ice cream with fresh (not canned) tropical fruits or sticky date pudding.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Jam roly poly with custard, but I have never tried making it. How did you make your sweetheart cabbage?

Annie, Are you just joking? It’s what it’s called on the bag!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	6411B008-DBE2-4114-A47E-A027B95F6D51.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	14859  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top