Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 11:17 AM

Re: Do You Ever Cook Yourself A ‘School Dinner’?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Gosh, l am impressed! Keezoy. Are you self taught or have you had lessons?
Thank you. I have been cooking since I was a kid. I just wanted to do it and my parents and older brother and sister encouraged me. It's always been one of my main hobbies. I have accumulated thousands of recipes over the years. I love South Asian food and food from all over the Indo- Pacific. I've been shown many tricks and methods by some clever foodies over the years. So I guess you could call them "lessons" Mostly self/ big sister taught. My mother was born and grew up in Northamptonshire so I have a bit of the "old country" in my repertoire. My Dad's family were from Northern California and I had some influences from them too. I have recently become interested in Australian indigenous food.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 11:23 AM

I loved something called Caramel Cracknel at school, and it was the only dessert where I hung around for seconds! I have never tired to make it myself though. Had it with custard and it was delicious. Might give it a go one day.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
A few years ago I had a visit from someone I had known from childhood both our parents had been teachers.

Anyway we made Gypsy Tart after searching for the recipe on the Internet. It was amazingly like the sweet, sticky dessert we used to get at school dinners.

School dinners in my opinion were uniformly awful, from the day I started Primary to the day I left the Grammar, gristle, powered potatoes, rubber eggs, processed peas, overcooked veggies etc. The only bright spot was the desserts and they set me off on my life long liking for milk puddings. Tapioca, sago, rice... you name it I like it.
Gipsy tart sounds something like Mr M is always remembering as his favourite school pudding . I will have to give it a go.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Lol Art - you ate it raw?! I meant how did you cook it
Annie, l would eat it raw in a coleslaw!
I just steam it like l do with all my vegetables.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I loved something called Caramel Cracknel at school, and it was the only dessert where I hung around for seconds! I have never tired to make it myself though. Had it with custard and it was delicious. Might give it a go one day.
Pixie, is the Caramel Cracknel made with Rice Krispies Or cornflakes? Or is it made with pecan nuts?

I make chocolate cornflakes or Rice Krispies for my family, children love them.
I think we had them at school with custard.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

01-03-2021, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Gipsy tart sounds something like Mr M is always remembering as his favourite school pudding . I will have to give it a go.

Muddy, I thought how nice Gypsy Tart sounded. I hope Bruce gives us the recipe, then you can make it for Mr Muddy! I bet he’d love that.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

01-03-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Thank you. I have been cooking since I was a kid. I just wanted to do it and my parents and older brother and sister encouraged me. It's always been one of my main hobbies. I have accumulated thousands of recipes over the years. I love South Asian food and food from all over the Indo- Pacific. I've been shown many tricks and methods by some clever foodies over the years. So I guess you could call them "lessons" Mostly self/ big sister taught. My mother was born and grew up in Northamptonshire so I have a bit of the "old country" in my repertoire. My Dad's family were from Northern California and I had some influences from them too. I have recently become interested in Australian indigenous food.
Neither my ex partner or ex husband ever cooked for me but then that’s my own fault, as l wouldn’t let them!
Once when my son was home from Australia, he announced he was going to cook me a meal.
I was very wary as l didn’t know he could cook and l was worried it would be awful and l’d have to eat it!
Anyway, before he started he shoved me into another room and gave me strict orders not to come into the kitchen.
He made me Teriyaki Chicken and it was delicious!
(Not a School meal in my day but it could well be, these days! )
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 12:52 PM

Can't think of a single thing that I didn't like for school dinner, loved 'em all, even down to the pink custard and the semolina...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pixie, is the Caramel Cracknel made with Rice Krispies Or cornflakes? Or is it made with pecan nuts?

I make chocolate cornflakes or Rice Krispies for my family, children love them.
I think we had them at school with custard.
I doubt my school stretched to pecan nuts, Arty, but it didn't seem to be cereal.... It was defiantly crunchy though with a soft caramel centre, and yes custard too. It was superb! Big slabs of it (or seemed to be at that age). Must give it a go this weekend - I'm in the mood for it now, haha!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Mint?! You must have gone to the posh school.
Grama skool.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top