Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 06:06 PM

Re: Apples

Cox’s Orange Pippins has always been my favourite from childhood. Mr Mags prefers Royal Gala so I always buy two types of apples a week.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Granny Smiths for me
Thanks but Granny Smiths are hard and tart Paula I’m looking for medium soft and sweet .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Cox’s Orange Pippins has always been my favourite from childhood. Mr Mags prefers Royal Gala so I always buy two types of apples a week.
Are they in season now Mags ? I do believe they might be what I’m looking for .
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 06:46 PM

Cox Orange Pippin for me as well but sometimes difficult to get here.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Are they in season now Mags ? I do believe they might be what I’m looking for .
They are coming to the end of their short season Zuleika,
They are usually in the shops here in the south west from September until early Spring. At the moment, I'm still able to buy them from Sainsbury's.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I haven't eaten a Golden Delicious for decades - not since I learnt that the French apple growers more or less forced the EU to standardise on the GD causing all apple growers to grub up most of their better tasting and quality apple trees. Once everyone had done that to compete, the French growers started to grow other varieties and cashed in. Barstewards.
Golden Delicious, ugh. They are neither golden nor delicious. They're the most tasteless excuse for an apple I have ever had the misfortune to eat. I wouldn't eat them if they were the only apples left on the planet.
And yes, I remember all that debacle about the EU standardisation, could never understand why anyone would want to bastardise an apple just to suit a 'standard'.
Zuleika
North West UK

02-03-2021, 12:24 PM

They are coming to the end of their short season Zuleika,
They are usually in the shops here in the south west from September until early Spring. At the moment, I'm still able to buy them from Sainsbury's.
Thanks Mags ,I just added them to my online Sainsburys shop for this week ,they’re showing as available .🙂
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

02-03-2021, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Thanks Mags ,I just added them to my online Sainsburys shop for this week ,they’re showing as available .🙂
I always leave them for a couple of days after I buy them, they are not quite so crisp then, so easier to eat.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Golden Delicious, ugh. They are neither golden nor delicious. They're the most tasteless excuse for an apple I have ever had the misfortune to eat. I wouldn't eat them if they were the only apples left on the planet.
And yes, I remember all that debacle about the EU standardisation, could never understand why anyone would want to bastardise an apple just to suit a 'standard'.
That, in a nutshell, is the EU for you. I agree with your description of the Golden Delicious.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top