Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 08:47 PM

Re: The Oath Of Allegiance?

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I spent two happy years doing my national service. Sad day when I had to say goodbye to my pals.
Where did you do it Scot??
And what were you in?

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I spent one and a half years in Cyprus Mags and enjoyed every
minute of it despite nearly getting nearly blown up a couple of times?
I don't remember seeing your brother though? 🤗🤗

Donkeyman! 👍👍
He was in the Devon & Dorset reg,.....
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Where did you do it Scot??
And what were you in?

Donkeyman! 👍👍
I was a welder in the REME at 7th Armoured Workshops, Fallingbostel in Germany. I spent much of my time uparmouring Centurion tanks when we welded a 50mm plate to the front.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I don't know if it is still current practice, but it was, once, necessary, on joining the Armed Forces, for example, to swear to uphold the Oath of Allegiance.

"All persons enlisting or commissioning in the British Armed Forces, except Royal Navy Officers, are required to attest to the following oath or equivalent affirmation:"

"I... swear by Almighty God (do solemnly, and truly declare and affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the (admirals / generals/ air officers) and officers set over me. (So help me God.)

Until recently no oath of allegiance was sworn by members of the Royal Navy,[29] which is not maintained under an Act of Parliament but by the royal prerogative. This is still the case for officers as, by nature of the Navy's authority deriving from the Crown and not Parliament, the loyalty of naval officers to the Sovereign is taken for granted.[citation needed
]"

In it's day, would a serving Soldier be required to stand by that oath, for the rest of his/her life?
As far as I know it only applies while a member of the Defence Force, when my kids joined the RAN they had to swear allegiance in the following terms:

I, (name), promise that I will well and truly serve Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors according to law, as a member of the Royal Australian Navy and that I will resist Her enemies and faithfully discharge my duty according to law.

If they were religious then they would say the same thing but with a mention of god and a Bible, Koran or other holy book of their choice.

It is different for new citizens. At their naturalisation ceremony a new citizens says:

From this time forward, [under God,]
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect, and
whose laws I will uphold and obey.

The prospective citizen has the option of making the pledge with or without the words "under God".

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top