Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 12:07 PM

Re: Insomnia

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Here's a weird answer and you'll probably think I am insane but it sometimes works for me.

I don't know about anyone else but when I am about to fall asleep, I start to dream, so I might hear voices or see images. You are only aware of this if you wake up again (You know, that annoying moment when you realise you almost fell asleep).

So when I can't sleep, I imagine the sound of a crowd of people all talking at once, say in a pub for instance. Eventually someone will say something without being generated. It probably won't make any sense but that's good; means I am falling asleep. It sometimes takes several goes at it to work.

Another trick someone taught me which does work although I have not used it for a while, is to keep a smooth pebble in you hand. When your mind starts to work overtime, gently caress the pebble in your hand. It brings your mind back to where you are.
Ha!, this is not as strange as you might think...with me, in that moment before actually falling asleep...I hear music. Proper orchestral music, like...I dunno - not tinkly choral music, more like big band jazz or something. Its nothing I have heard or been influenced by, and I think to myself "I must write that down in the morning" It goes away if I listen too closely...I have to let it happen.

The pebble is a good idea...knowing me I would lie on it during sleep and wake up in pain! I do breathing mindfulness though...that helps.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 12:31 PM

Beautiful sunrise shot Roxy!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I too have spells of not sleeping, it's gotten a lot worse since these lockdowns as I'm simply not able to live life as I did before, especially swimming. I was at the pool for 7am Mon - Fri and did 50 lengths each time, that is quite a bit of exercise, I used to meet up with friends over in Wick for lunch and a wander round the shops, all using up energy. Then there's all the things I do round here.
If I wake up I get up and close the bedroom door quietly so I don't wake himself up as he is up at 6am for work. I often make toast and coffee then go online with my jigsaw and audio book, if it's the summer I go outside and sit on the bench with my snack, I love to hear the ocean and it sooths me. If it's near dawn I get dressed, take the dog and camera and head over to the beach for a wander and get some sunrise photos.. Like this one..
Ohhhh! That's a gorgeous photo, Roxy! And yes, I have to be really quiet too otherwise the dog and Mr P end up waking up, the dog gets all busy thinking things are happening and Mr P just grumbles about me being up and am I making a cuppa?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 02:45 PM

I guess I'm lucky, because I very rarely can't get to sleep, or get disturbed sleep.
My problem, if anything, is the opposite, and I could sleep for England!

I do think one important thing to remember though is, don't stay on your computer till bed time. A lot of people find it stimulates the old brain box instead of calming us ready for sleep.

When I get to bed, I have always read for a while, and before many pages, I'm gone.
Again, don't read anything stimulating like wars/violence/murders/puzzles etc, try to fill your thoughts with restful reading.
Works for me, and always has done.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I too have spells of not sleeping, it's gotten a lot worse since these lockdowns as I'm simply not able to live life as I did before, especially swimming. I was at the pool for 7am Mon - Fri and did 50 lengths each time, that is quite a bit of exercise, I used to meet up with friends over in Wick for lunch and a wander round the shops, all using up energy. Then there's all the things I do round here.
If I wake up I get up and close the bedroom door quietly so I don't wake himself up as he is up at 6am for work. I often make toast and coffee then go online with my jigsaw and audio book, if it's the summer I go outside and sit on the bench with my snack, I love to hear the ocean and it sooths me. If it's near dawn I get dressed, take the dog and camera and head over to the beach for a wander and get some sunrise photos.. Like this one..
Stunning!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Ha!, this is not as strange as you might think...with me, in that moment before actually falling asleep...I hear music. Proper orchestral music, like...I dunno - not tinkly choral music, more like big band jazz or something. Its nothing I have heard or been influenced by, and I think to myself "I must write that down in the morning" It goes away if I listen too closely...I have to let it happen.

The pebble is a good idea...knowing me I would lie on it during sleep and wake up in pain! I do breathing mindfulness though...that helps.
In that case, try imagining a big band on stage but nothing specific and see where it takes you....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-03-2021, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by mups ->
i guess i'm lucky, because i very rarely can't get to sleep, or get disturbed sleep.
My problem, if anything, is the opposite, and i could sleep for england!

i do think one important thing to remember though is, don't stay on your computer till bed time. A lot of people find it stimulates the old brain box instead of calming us ready for sleep.

When i get to bed, i have always read for a while, and before many pages, i'm gone.
Again, don't read anything stimulating like wars/violence/murders/puzzles etc, try to fill your thoughts with restful reading.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

14-03-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I guess I'm lucky, because I very rarely can't get to sleep, or get disturbed sleep.
My problem, if anything, is the opposite, and I could sleep for England!

I do think one important thing to remember though is, don't stay on your computer till bed time. A lot of people find it stimulates the old brain box instead of calming us ready for sleep.

When I get to bed, I have always read for a while, and before many pages, I'm gone.
Ahh now, this is good. I am often online right up until I decide to sleep. I know I shouldn't be, and I don't find it interferes with me falling asleep
but its the waking up at stupid o'clock I find the most irritating. I'll try reading before sleeping. Mr P listens to podcasts, but they just annoy me - I don't want people talking to me when I'm falling asleep, haha!
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 04:47 PM

Recently I have taken to spraying my pillow with an aromatic spray of lavender and camomile. It's said to induce sleep and It does seem to work.

I get it in Boots.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

14-03-2021, 04:52 PM

Ok, thanks PB, I'll give it a go Thanks!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top