Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 09:26 AM

Pet insurance

Just got the renewal notice for my dogs insurance it has gone up from £215 pa to £283pa despite the fact I have had no claims for over two years .
What does everyone else pay for their pet insurance ?
Should I shop around?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 09:30 AM

Re: Pet insurance

Excuse me while I utter some expletives! Mine is £133 a month. John Lewis does mine. Pedigree female, 10 years old, entire. Never had pups. The policy doesn't cover dental work (which I think applies to most policies maybe) Who on earth are you with, Muddy?? Its me who should be shopping around!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 09:37 AM

Tesco
My dog is nearly five years old and in excellent health .
he is insured up to £3000 with an excess of £120.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 09:44 AM

Hmm...I might look around for cheaper deals, but I'm not sure new insurers would take her on now. Not that 10 is old for her breed, but still....she is getting more ailments. Its due for renewal in June so a bit of time away.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-03-2021, 10:02 AM

I have to say that Tesco’s paid up just after when I took it out .
I just made the 14 days !
We were away on holiday and left Mungo with my son .
Mungo discovered a rusty needle in the garden ( in a household that does no sewing ) and swallowed it !
My son could not believe his eyes he happened to be watching Mungo and couldn’t get to him in time before he gulped .
The cost of his subsequent vet stays operations and treatment
( worse it happened on a bank holiday so everything was doubled ) cost £3500 . Tesco paid without a cavil at that time I had only paid the first premium which was £7 50 p .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Hmm...I might look around for cheaper deals, but I'm not sure new insurers would take her on now. Not that 10 is old for her breed, but still....she is getting more ailments. Its due for renewal in June so a bit of time away.

Pixie, I am pretty sure most insurers start pushing their prices up after a dog reaches 8 years old - depending on breed.

Crafty devils, because as the dog ages, that is very often just when start needing more help.

Mine are not insured anymore, they used to be though, but I got fed up with them wriggling out of paying for things.

One of my GSD girls I had once had a grass seed get deep down her ear, and the vet had to remove it. The insurers put a clause on her insurance to say if she had any more ear problems they wouldn't pay. I was so annoyed, because she didn't have 'ear problems' like an ongoing complaint, it was a one-off accident!

I found nearly everything that went wrong with my dogs they insurers wouldn't cough up for, so I ditched them in the end. Instead I put money away weekly into a separate account which is just for vet fees.

It would be far to expensive to insure multiple dogs, anyway.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

14-03-2021, 04:49 PM

How many do you have, Mups? Yes, I'm finding it a struggle to get them to pay out - she had some gum nodules which needed removed, and they fought (tooth & nail - sorry!) like heck to say it was dental and they wouldn't pay. We eventually got them to pay half of an £750 fee because the vet backed us up. Nightmare. I don't know if I could put aside money for her and leave it there to be perfectly honest....if she is happy and healthy, and other big bill things came up....well....it would go to that.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 05:14 PM

FWIW our insurance is about about £500. Pets at Home. No quibbles from us and vet fees have more than covered the insurance.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

14-03-2021, 05:29 PM

Have you got a few pets then, Besoeker? And is that price a month or a year? I am really glad we have our dog insured (even though I moan about the cost), because there is no way we could have paid for a couple of things she had done in her life if it wasn't for the insurance.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Have you got a few pets then, Besoeker? And is that price a month or a year? I am really glad we have our dog insured (even though I moan about the cost), because there is no way we could have paid for a couple of things she had done in her life if it wasn't for the insurance.
It's for a year. As you rightly said, the insurance covers the cost of medications - by a huge margin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top