Join for free
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:36 PM

Chicken curry

It’s a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon. I cooked my son’s favourite chicken breast curry with brown rice.
Forgive the lack of plating. I promise, it does taste as good as it looks
We’re poolside this afternoon so relaxed and casual early dinner for us today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	35121F99-11FD-4AF1-86E6-220D853950C0.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	14988

Chicken curry

Ingredients:
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 medium Roma tomatoes, blitzed or grated
500 grams chicken breast pieces cut , skinless and deboned (cut the breasts into mediums pieces for even cooking)
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1.5 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons Tumeric powder
1.5 teaspoons Cumin powder
1.5 teaspoons Coriander powder
1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
3 medium cinnamon sticks
3 bay leaf
6 cloves
2 star aniseed
6 green cardomon pods or 1 black
Cardomon pod
1 Tablespoon ginger garlic paste
4 potatoes cut in halves
2 stems curry leaves
Fresh Coriander to garnish
Boiling water on the ready
1 Tablespoon garum masala
Fresh green chillies (optional) I don’t use fresh chilli much in my curries
Canola Oil
Salt to taste

First add about 1/4 cup canola oil to a suitable sized pot.
Then add the star aniseed, fennel seeds, cloves, Cardomon pods, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves and sauté for 1 minute. Add the onions , curry leaves , ginger and garlic (chillies - optional) and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Once onions are translucent, drop the heat to medium and add the Tumeric powder, chilli powder, curry powder, cumin powder and coriander powder add stir into the onion mixture. Let it cook for about 2 minutes whilst stirring (so as not to burn your spices - drop heat to low if necessary) then add 1/2 cup boiling water and you’ll hear that sizzle. Stir in the water quickly.
Add your tomato and cook for 7 minutes ( topping up water if necessary on medium heat. Top with water if necessary.
Add your potatoes and top up water. Cook your potatoes for 10-15 minutes on medium to high heat and when almost done and water level is reduced ( you may need to top up the water), add your chicken breast pieces and cook for 10 minutes ( depending on the size of your chicken pieces) lid off to allow the water to cook off . Add salt to taste
Once your chicken is cooked and potatoes are soft then garnish with coriander and a sprinkle of garum masala. Enjoy with flatbread or rice.

We did brown rice because it’s healthier. Enjoy!
Tip : You can grind your whole spices into a powder if you wish. I did that. I don’t like biting into spices while eating. Thanks

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top