Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 01:38 PM

Re: French to Replace English with Latin as Europes Official Language

Boy what a discussion...Latin a dead language???!!!..Wow..OKL..my son studies linguistics. Apart from French and English of course, he has studied Latin for some years now.. He can converse in it but his speciality is that he can translate it fluently. He reads works from the ancient world that were written in Latin and Ancient Greek. He has often remarked that if everybody studied Latin..Not rote as taught in the old schools but learned it's practical application, we could all speak the latin based languages and understand each other. Food for thought. He has also studied Old and middle English. As for the rest of what has been said here so far. Yes English is the most common today. I think that's as much because it's the language of the United States as it is of Britain. And I wouldn't like to have to live in West Africa or many other places in the world without having a good command of French.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 01:43 PM

No resurrection of Esperanto then
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Boy what a discussion...Latin a dead language???!!!..Wow..OKL..my son studies linguistics. Apart from French and English of course, he has studied Latin for some years now.. He can converse in it but his speciality is that he can translate it fluently. He reads works from the ancient world that were written in Latin and Ancient Greek. He has often remarked that if everybody studied Latin..Not rote as taught in the old schools but learned it's practical application, we could all speak the latin based languages and understand each other. Food for thought. He has also studied Old and middle English. As for the rest of what has been said here so far. Yes English is the most common today. I think that's as much because it's the language of the United States as it is of Britain. And I wouldn't like to have to live in West Africa or many other places in the world without having a good command of French.
I'm not disparaging Latin as a language, I think its beautiful - as is old English (not that I speak either of them) but as Gaelic and Cornish, and Welsh (I'm assuming - don't shoot me if I'm wrong) these were of their time and since the world has become more business-like and corporate and global, a common language has to be found. I adore words and language, and mourn the loss of indigenous speech, but its just not common anymore. Jmo.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 02:51 PM

I would have liked to have taken Latin at school but the choice was either Latin or German, not both. As I was never going to be an academic, I chose German.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Latin is a dead language.

I guess that's why the French recommend it?

Still, we'd have to give it some thought if, for example, all of the USA switched to Latin!

I did take Latin in high school, and it has served me well in understanding all other languages.
I'll be sure to bring it up to my congressman! Thank you for the idea.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 04:25 PM

I took Latin at school too, I quite enjoyed it but unfortunately it was useless to me in the wide world.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would have liked to have taken Latin at school but the choice was either Latin or German, not both. As I was never going to be an academic, I chose German.
Same here. I chose German and still failed it at O Level. I can still speak a little German but nowhere near as much as I can Italian or French.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I took Latin at school too, I quite enjoyed it but unfortunately it was useless to me in the wide world.
Well, possibly. There are quite a few common Latin words in English.
Status quo, subpoena, ad nauseam, etc so maybe not so useless.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 06:40 PM

I was just reading posts on another thread about spell checkers, there will be fun and games when those try and check Latin for correct spelling.

There will definitely be a lot of very poorly spell checkers out there!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 06:46 PM

Surely Keezoy for the average student it would be just as helpful to study a living Latin language such as Spanish your son is a linguist most people are not .learning one Latin language makes another much easier . Spanish is the third spoken language of the world and is understood in Portugal and Italy to an extent .

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top