Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 11:13 AM

Global Capital Is Leaving Europe For the UK!

Interesting view in the DT, today, starting with further trouble for ursula & going on to where it all seems to be moving!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...aign=DM1356486
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 11:32 AM

Re: Global Capital Is Leaving Europe For the UK!

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Interesting view in the DT, today, starting with further trouble for ursula & going on to where it all seems to be moving!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...aign=DM1356486
Yes l read that too Ted!
It's only a trend at the moment, but surely a good signal as far as
we are concerned l think?
Especially as it is taking place while the EU is trying by all means
to f- - k us up !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes l read that too Ted!
It's only a trend at the moment, but surely a good signal as far as
we are concerned l think?
Especially as it is taking place while the EU is trying by all means
to f- - k us up !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Must check my drawers & get rid of any Euros!

Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 02:41 PM

A disparate so-called union with such varied demographics, so many different histories, languages, allegiances and ambitions was always going to be difficult and always looked unlikely to prosper.

That is certainly true in many areas (hence the huge monetary outflows of the OP) and perhaps it is most evident in their delays agreeing trade deals.
Like the Mercosur deal which - after 20-odd years of talks - has still not been approved by the EU two years after agreement was supposedly reached.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN2BB0EU
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 10:57 AM

So frustrating when a link I'd like to read is behind a paywall
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
So frustrating when a link I'd like to read is behind a paywall
Yes, I had the same problem with that link and it is very annoying. However, the link below is to a similar news report, although being unable to read the original news item I cannot say for certain:

https://www.newscon.net/en-gb/posts/...ng-to-britain/
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

21-03-2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yes, I had the same problem with that link and it is very annoying. However, the link below is to a similar news report, although being unable to read the original news item I cannot say for certain:

Sadly, we have to tread a bit carefully with the way we do Plagiarism.

I try to copy & paste, if the thing is not too big, but the papers are often slicing their stuff up with space using blocking objects!

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Sadly, we have to tread a bit carefully with the way we do Plagiarism.

I try to copy & paste, if the thing is not too big, but the papers are often slicing their stuff up with space using blocking objects!

Yes, I am only too well aware of what newspapers do as my entire 55-year working life was spent in the printing / advertising / publishing trade. Online such a lot is so different, like an advertisement suddenly appearing in the middle of your screen as you scroll over the text. With that link to The Telegraph news item I had overlooked the need to subscribe before being allowed to read the item. When that happened I just searched for the subject in the heading, found the one I gave the link to and after reading some of it posted that link as it might have been of use to other posters affected in the same way I had been.

It's like the publications that block you for using an ad blocker, if they weren't so intrusive with their advertising there would be no need to use an ad blocker, advertisements could simply be ignored. As soon as I am blocked I close that window and try to remember not to view that publication in the future. This is often difficult as these practices are now becoming more widely used.

Rather ironically though the item I gave the alternative link to gave a link to that same news item in The Telegraph which again blocked anyone not subscribing!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 01:35 PM

Thanks for that Baz. Unfortunately, the article reads just so far and then says More on: www.telegraph.co.uk . But the little I could read gave me some idea.

ETA: sorry, just read your later post acknowledging the link in the article to the Telegraph!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

21-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Yes, I am only too well aware of what newspapers do as my entire 55-year working life was spent in the printing / advertising / publishing trade. Online such a lot is so different, like an advertisement suddenly appearing in the middle of your screen as you scroll over the text. With that link to The Telegraph news item I had overlooked the need to subscribe before being allowed to read the item. When that happened I just searched for the subject in the heading, found the one I gave the link to and after reading some of it posted that link as it might have been of use to other posters affected in the same way I had been.

It's like the publications that block you for using an ad blocker, if they weren't so intrusive with their advertising there would be no need to use an ad blocker, advertisements could simply be ignored. As soon as I am blocked I close that window and try to remember not to view that publication in the future. This is often difficult as these practices are now becoming more widely used.

Rather ironically though the item I gave the alternative link to gave a link to that same news item in The Telegraph which again blocked anyone not subscribing!

I do think that the newspapers might get around to the idea that copying really good articles, to others, might well produce some new buyers, for that newspaper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top