Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 02:24 AM

Who else makes baked beans ???

Is there anyone else who makes their baked beans from scratch ???
If interested, I could share my personal recipe. So much better than that in a can. At least I think so.
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

22-03-2021, 02:31 AM

Re: Who else makes baked beans ???

Yes please please I'm so bored with the tins.

I pour the juice off and put puree, butter and worcestershire sauce in!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 04:25 AM

Yes please!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 05:05 AM

I will post instructions over the next few hours.
BUT, 1st, have you ever noticed that some dried beans will just not cook properly ? The reason is that the beans are old. Luckily, there is a quick fix for that.

I am going to assume that everyone does not want to make a HUGE pot of beans. So, I will reduce the amounts so that it will feed 4 persons OR 2 people + 2 meals.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but most of the time is soaking, simmering and baking. REALLY, NOT MUCH WORK AT ALL. AND in my opinion well worth the effort. Also, could be that the British taste is very different from that of the U.S.

Quick fix for old beans. Measure out 250 grams of dried NAVY beans. In a medium size pot or bowl add 1 liter of bottled water. There is a reason for this which I will get into later. Add 1/4 tsp of baking soda to the water. (more is NOT better) Stir to dissolve. Add beans. The water should now come up to about 3 cm over top of the beans. If water does NOT cover the beans by 3 cm. add a bit more bottled water. Soak overnight for at least 11 hours at a minimum. The baking soda helps greatly by moisturizing the beans. AND slightly breaks down that tough skin.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	dried-navy-beans-20-lb.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	15042   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	15043  
bakerman
Mexico

22-03-2021, 05:17 AM

Morning of day 2.
Drain soaking water and discard. Add beans to a medium size pot. Cover by 3 cm with FRESH BOTTLED water. Bring to a quick boil, skim off any foam and REDUCE heat to a steaming heat BUT just barely simmering. Cover and cook at a very gentle pace. (Boiling is bad ). for aprox 2 hours. Turn heat off. COVER TIGHTLY and let rest for 4-5 hours.

IMPORTANT TIP: When you suspect your beans are completely softened, spoon out several heaping dinner spoonful and eat then all. beans can be tricky. I can't tell you how many times I have thought that all of them were completely cooked only to discover later that a few of those little buggers were still hard. So eat 3 spoonful. That will tell you for certain that they are ALL completely soft.

1.) Chop up 1 cup of yellow onions, with a touch of oil, saute onions until a light golden brown . VERY, VERY important. Add to beans.

2.) chop up 1 full cup of streaky bacon and saute until completely done. Add bacon and grease to the beans.

3.) Add the following to the beans:
1/2 cup of Heinz Ketchup
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 tsp of yellow prepared mustard (like the kind you put on hot dogs.)
2 TBLSP of molasses
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp powdered garlic
1 tsp of fresh grated ginger
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Wrights liquid smoke

turn heat back on. Cover and at a bare simmer cook for 3+1/2 hour. Check the liquid level occasionally. What you are doing at this stage is to marinate the beans with the seasonings.
continued.....
bakerman
Mexico

22-03-2021, 05:43 AM

after beans and seasoning have cooked for 3 1/2 hour pour beans AND all liquid into a 3-5 cm deep, glass or ceramic baking dish. NEVER, EVER use metal.
Heat oven to aprox 300 F (150 C.)

As you put the beans into the dish, notice the color . We are now going to change that color by caramelizing the sugars. DO NOT COVER.
every 45 minutes or so start checking the liquid has not all steamed away. if becoming too dry add a touch more water. Do NOT STIR THE BEANS YET. LET THEM CARAMELIZE. Bake for aprox 1/1/2 - 2hours.

when the color has darkened considerably, they are ready to eat.
In the U.S. this type of baked beans is considered standard picnic fare. But we never ever eat them for breakfast. serve hot or at room temp.

Notice the color difference. The 1st photo is BEFORE baking. The 2nd photo is AFTER baking.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick-Stovetop-Baked-Beans-Summer-Side-Dish-5-Ingredient-Recipe-by-Five-Heart-Home_700pxZoom.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	15044   Click image for larger version

Name:	a3951be1c8e1c9450874faef0da15076.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	15045  
bakerman
Mexico

22-03-2021, 06:05 AM

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. The reason to use bottled water is to insure that the water is NOT "hard water". hard water is all too common and it hinders the beans from cooking properly.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 07:42 AM

Those beans look delicious, Bakerman.

Couple of questions -

Are Navy beans the same as Haricot beans?

Could I use Passata instead of ketchup?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 09:22 AM

Ah, so as I live in an area where the water is soft, I can just go straight for the tap!
bakerman
Mexico

22-03-2021, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Those beans look delicious, Bakerman.

Couple of questions -

Are Navy beans the same as Haricot beans?

Could I use Passata instead of ketchup?
Tabby, yes haricot beans are the same as navy beans.
No, passata is a completely different animal and will not work. Sorry but you must have ketchup, preferably, Heinz. Ketchup, as you know, has a wide variety of ingredients and is not merely pureed tomatoes.

Bathsheba, yes, if you are certain your water is soft, go ahead and use it. However, do use the baking soda in the long over-night soak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top