Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 10:59 AM

Re: Who else makes baked beans ???

Thanks Bakerman, I'm going to give that a try. Heinz beans have suddenly gone crap! They are so bad, I've bought a different brand, and tonight's the night....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Tabby, yes haricot beans are the same as navy beans.
No, passata is a completely different animal and will not work. Sorry but you must have ketchup, preferably, Heinz. Ketchup, as you know, has a wide variety of ingredients and is not merely pureed tomatoes.
Thank you, Bakerman, am going to try this as I like baked beans!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Bakerman, I'm going to give that a try. Heinz beans have suddenly gone crap! They are so bad, I've bought a different brand, and tonight's the night....
Branston aren't too bad, Foxy.
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

22-03-2021, 01:13 PM

I always have Branston now - low salt and sugar ones
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 09:02 PM

Beans Curry

Ingredients
500g Beans (boiled until soft and mushy, I cook in a pressure cooker on high for 30 minutes)
2 large ripe Roma tomatoes (grated or chopped into small cubes)
1 large onion (finely sliced)
3 cloves garlic crushed
1teaspoon ginger paste
¼ cup cooking oil
3 - 4 green chillies (slit) optional
3 teaspoons Chilli Powder
3 teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 pinches asafoetida or hing powder (optional – used to prevent wind and acidity)
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
3 – 4 potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
Chopped fresh coriander
1 stem Curry leaves

METHOD:
Braise onion until golden brown. Add crushed garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and green chillies. Toss and simmer for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and all the spices. Allow to simmer (on a low heat) until tomatoes softened and cooked through. At this stage the tomato and spices must start to catch a little at the bottom of the pot. Now add the boiled beans and potatoes. Add 1 – 1 ½ cups boiling water and allow to cook until potatoes cooked through and curry slightly thickened. Stir gently or shake the pot, ensuring you do not break the potatoes. Garnish with the greens.
If your curry is too thick add a little water to thin out… if too liquidy, place on stove on high heat with lid off … this will allow the water to quickly evaporate. Take care not to scorch it. Serve with rice, puri or roti. Enjoy.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 09:44 PM

25p for something hot & juicy, edible with toast & butter, baked potato, cheese.

That's my view ... BB are the most basic quick food.

I wouldn't want to glorify that.

BTW have you tried minced lamb & onions fried, fat removed, tabasco and tinned BB added? Scrumptious.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Branston aren't too bad, Foxy.
Originally Posted by Tubby ->
I always have Branston now - low salt and sugar ones
Funny you should say that Tabby and Tubby, Branston were the experimental beans I had with my fish and chips last night....And they were a great success.... I'm done with Heinz beans....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-03-2021, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

25p for something hot & juicy, edible with toast & butter, baked potato, cheese.

That's my view ... BB are the most basic quick food.

I wouldn't want to glorify that.

BTW have you tried minced lamb & onions fried, fat removed, tabasco and tinned BB added? Scrumptious.
Shopping day tomorrow d00d, so Tesco beans will be under the spotlight for next Mondays Dinner....Maybe even sooner....
I've already moved from Heinz soups to Tesco's own brand vegetable soup, it's delish' and so are Baxters Lentil and Vegetable, and Green Lentil and Vegetable.....I just have soup for lunch with two slices of toast most days....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

23-03-2021, 01:14 PM

Heinz have/has really gone off recently.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-03-2021, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Heinz have/has really gone off recently.
They have Tabby, I think they have been messing about with the ingredients....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top