Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 12:30 PM

Re: Oooops! Suez Blocked

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

It makes sense to me when I really think about it, but somehow the fact that only about 50 ships traverse the canal each day seems surprisingly low.
With speeds restricted to 8knots(to reduce erosion to the banks)and taking up to 16hrs to travel the distance I can see that as being correct.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
With speeds restricted to 8knots(to reduce erosion to the banks)and taking up to 16hrs to travel the distance I can see that as being correct.
The ones, coming from the South, would hold up, in the lake, and wait for the South bound vessels to go by.

Passing, anywhere else, was not an option.

Back in 1956, I was on a Shell tanker, coming back from the gulf, when the canal was closed by the war.

Shell decided that routing round the cape was not an option and changed the ship's base to Singapore!

I finally got home after 14 months.

A lot of knock on effects when something like this happens.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
The ones, coming from the South, would hold up, in the lake, and wait for the South bound vessels to go by.

Passing, anywhere else, was not an option.

Back in 1956, I was on a Shell tanker, coming back from the gulf, when the canal was closed by the war.

Shell decided that routing round the cape was not an option and changed the ship's base to Singapore!

I finally got home after 14 months.

A lot of knock on effects when something like this happens.
Bloody hell Ted!!
I hope they were paying you ?

Donkeyman. 🤗🤗
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Bloody hell Ted!!
I hope they were paying you ?

Donkeyman. 🤗🤗
Haha!

My pay was put straight into the Bank, back home!

No Debit or Credit cards, back then.

But the Ship allowed me to spend 2 pounds per week.

Covered fags, at 10 bob for 200, & on board beer!

Mind you, went all over the far east & saw a lot of places I wouldn't have seen otherwise.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Haha!

My pay was put straight into the Bank, back home!

No Debit or Credit cards, back then.

But the Ship allowed me to spend 2 pounds per week.

Covered fags, at 10 bob for 200, & on board beer!

Mind you, went all over the far east & saw a lot of places I wouldn't have seen otherwise.
Yes,. a nice experience Ted!
Seems Egypt's in more trouble now?
Two trains have collided and blocked the main railway now ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

26-03-2021, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes,. a nice experience Ted!
Seems Egypt's in more trouble now?
Two trains have collided and blocked the main railway now ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Ah Well, get the camels fired up!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 12:32 AM

Can't they tie all the backed up tankers together latch em onto the stuck tanker and all do a reverse paddle?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 12:38 AM

Ah ... you mean like a tug-of-war but all heading the same way.
Neat idea.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Can't they tie all the backed up tankers together latch em onto the stuck tanker and all do a reverse paddle?
They are worried about breaking/cracking the hull even with the current attempts never mind a brute force one. Look how many years it took to clear the canal after the 6 day war.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They are worried about breaking/cracking the hull even with the current attempts never mind a brute force one. Look how many years it took to clear the canal after the 6 day war.
I did wonder why they didn't do a controlled explosion of the shoreline to loosen the bits under and around the tanker. It must be pretty deep water there to take such big vessels.

Is there any reason they have never widened it? I mean you'd think they would not allow ships that are longer than it's wide.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top