Join for free
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 09:27 AM

Ben Fogle

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-...-debate-tv-spt

He believed Brexit “divided society” and said he “wouldn’t be surprised” if a large number of Britons decided to flee the country.

The star felt some may consider “heading off and living on an island” to escape the “fallout” after departing from the EU.

He believed the public might take tips from his survival shows and live in “the wilderness” in “tiny little structures” to be free of governance.

Fogle added: “You make your own rules, you make your own destiny and you’re your own boss.”

While he predicted mass migration to escape Brexit, the TV star also remarked that Britons were more than capable of “weathering the Brexit storm”.
Is he really serious, no uninhabited isles apart from those protected for wildlife around the British Isles.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 10:19 AM

Re: Ben Fogle

I like Ben Fogle and he is entitled to his opinion .

I don't like The Express and would take anything written in it with a pinch of salt.
The paper frequently prints stories about months of extreme weather heading our way and when it fails to arrive conveniently forgets its prediction

I watch all Bens adventure programmes and always longed to go and live on sparsely populated island but sadly never made it but now wish I had given it a try.
Good luck to Ben if that is what he wishes to do.

no uninhabited isles apart from those protected for wildlife around the British Isles.
I understand there are 94 uninhabited islands in the Hebrides alone, perhaps Ben could negotiate to have one of those or maybe became a lighthouse keeper or warden on an island I have occasionally seen those jobs advertised around the world.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 10:50 AM

Mass migration to where. Even if you could buy an island you would be a land owner not a country?

Islands are uninhabited for a reason. In this high tech world cannot see many would last long.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 10:55 AM

Something like this would suit Ben and me too...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49335822
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 12:02 PM

I like Ben Fogle, and I would love to escape the constant bombardment of people trying to sell me stuff or rip me off. The persistent news items telling me how to think and act. The new technology, that while trying to make life easier, encourages me to sit on my bum all day talking to alexa and watching box sets, playing computer games or navigating me around the country while my map reading skills are falling by the wayside. The forum must take its share of the blame too...

So I do escape, whenever the opportunity arises I take myself off to the wild places. The empty beaches, or the mountains and valleys seeking solitude and peace, where few people ever go. I avoid the popular places where hundreds of people gather when the sun is out, and ice cream and burger vans congregate competing for business, and music poisons the air emanating from some BMW, VW or Audi full of students drinking lager and studying their smartphones for the next funny compilation on twitter. And the litter left behind when they have all gone home...

If everyone took Ben's advice there would be no wilderness, just deserted town and cities and nowhere to go to escape. After all, isn't that how towns and cities got started in the first place, with everyone looking for a good place to farm and bring up their kids.

But it's only a dream for most people, and not really practical. Apart from most people not being brave enough, or having the knowledge, skills, and health to survive on an island by themselves, it would get very lonely, I mean really lonely, even though I like my own space, it's nice to come home to friends and family. Not to mention electricity, running water, central heating, and Tesco a mile up the road.. And when I had my heart attack back in 2004 the ambulance was there within ten minutes....I would not be here now if I lived on an island cut off from civilisation....
Nice idea Ben, but a holiday is as far as I would go...
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

24-03-2021, 12:17 PM

Looks fantastic. Jura, Scotland another that would suit.

George Orwell lived here and finished 1984, while visiting.

https://isleofjura.scot/orwell-pilgr...barnhill-jura/

As far as possible to get away from it all.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 09:29 PM

As a Scot, having visited most of the islands, and having lived on one for 3 years, they are pretty harsh going. Especially in Winter when the ferries won't run...nobody delivers your orders, and you are left to fend for yourself for the most part. Beautiful in the summer, granted - which is why most folk have holiday homes (don't agree with that, personally, but that's jmo). Its a nice idea but not great in reality.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
As a Scot, having visited most of the islands, and having lived on one for 3 years, they are pretty harsh going. Especially in Winter when the ferries won't run...nobody delivers your orders, and you are left to fend for yourself for the most part. Beautiful in the summer, granted - which is why most folk have holiday homes (don't agree with that, personally, but that's jmo). Its a nice idea but not great in reality.
Yes I agree Pixie, especially about the holiday homes which do nothing for the local economy in the winter when they are abandoned. They also drive the property prices up and make it impossible for the local folks to stay local.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes I agree Pixie, especially about the holiday homes which do nothing for the local economy in the winter when they are abandoned. They also drive the property prices up and make it impossible for the local folks to stay local.
I agree! Its happening all over the UK though, not just Scotland. I know its nice to be in a lovely place, but I don't understand the need for a second home if you are only spending a few weeks a year in it anyway.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top