Join for free
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 10:59 AM

GP home visits

Can anyone advise on a wee problem I am having with my GP surgery.
I am 94 years old, can walk only short distances and have been told to visit the surgery for a B12 inoculation twice a week.
I do not drive and have no means of getting to the surgery. A taxi would cost me £22 there and back each day.
I have explained this to my GP but he says that as I am not 'strictly' housebound they will not send a district nurse out to administer the inoculation and I must make my own way to the surgery.
Is this a fair way to treat a 94 year old?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 11:21 AM

Re: GP home visits

[QUOTE=big ben;2063620]Can anyone advise on a wee problem I am having with my GP surgery.
I am 94 years old, can walk only short distances and have been told to visit the surgery for a B12 inoculation twice a week.
I do not drive and have no means of getting to the surgery. A taxi would cost me £22 there and back each day.
I have explained this to my GP but he says that as I am not 'strictly' housebound they will not send a district nurse out to administer the inoculation and I must make my own way to the surgery.
Is this a fair way to treat a 94 year old?[/QUOTE]

Definitely not, BB, it is a disgraceful way to treat a patient. Can you not speak to the Practice Manager or, you could try here:-

https://ombudsman.org.uk/sites/defau...practice_0.pdf
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Can anyone advise on a wee problem I am having with my GP surgery.
Is this a fair way to treat a 94 year old?
Good morning young Fred. I suggest you phone 111 and explain your very real problem, where hopefully someone from that hub will be able to arrange something for you. Good luck my friend and please let us all know how you progress with their help.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 11:46 AM

It's a disgrace, I really don't know what GP'S are doing during this pandemic as nobody seems to be able to book an appointment , no wonder patients are going to A&E it's the only place you can be seen by a medical person, and for a 94 year old to have this worry is beyond belief, good luck sir , I hope someone sees sense and sorts this out for you
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 12:12 PM

Hi Ben I don't know where you are in the country.
Have you heard of community transport...
go to this link,
scroll down the page
put in your postcode to see what is available in your area..

https://www.royalvoluntaryservice.or...oaAsn4EALw_wcB

there is a small charge for the service you would need to ask...
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 12:17 PM

Yes what Meg said. There should be a Community Transport service to help you Ben. But jeeeez. If you were my dad I'd be on somebody's case about it. Then again if you were my Dad I'd be taking you myself.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 12:19 PM

Ben can you tell me where in the country you are, your nearest town.
There are lots of local community services and I will see what I can find in your area...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 01:34 PM

It's shocking but they will only classify someone as housebound if they are not able to go to the local shop etc and that they do not have someone to help them get to a practice which is nuts. You have to tell them that you do not go out at all now and insist on home visits from a district nurse.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 04:35 PM

That's a disgrace, Ben.
As Paula has said, what are these GP's doing during lockdown?
I have heard no end of people complaining, and then they wonder why some folks lose their tempers!

I hope you can get some help soon Ben. I'd take you myself if I was nearby.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 05:20 PM

Dan

I had free transport for my hospital visits for about six months. It was about half an hour each way. Would that work for you? It is in the Doncaster area for me but it should be the same in other areas

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top