Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Re: Cartophile

zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 12:15 PM

Yes, I like maps!

I have enjoyed browsing them, reading them, and daydreaming about them ever since I was a schoolboy in the Scouts and started to understand what they were

I have a collection of OS maps of the areas where I go walking, and others
And when I visit places and events by car I plan things with a road atlas, seeing if I can add on other visits while I'm in new areas - is this still called touring?

I often do this browsing at home, over a cup of tea, planning & daydreaming for the future
But my wants list is getting longer & longer; like everyone else i'll be glad when the Lockdown is over
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Don't suppose anyone has a map of the original navigation of the River Irwell, before it was straightened to make the Manchester Ship Canal?

What I find particularly interesting is that the River Mersey, which cuts across the canal, must also have cut across the Irwell.
This might help, or for old Manchester in general -

www.manchester-forum.co.uk

and Search YouTube for 'Martin Zero Manchester'
He has made lots of videos about old Manchester and its waterways, canals, and rivers
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 12:43 PM

Yes, that's the thing about Sat Navs, they are great to a point, but, are useless if, you need to do a diversion, If doing a 100 mile journey, a Sat Nav is probably only of use for the last mile or so of a unknown neighbourhood, which a national map can't show in detail.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 02:39 PM

Fascinating maps, spitfire. Sometimes it's not easy to find your way to the past.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-03-2021, 09:13 PM

Found that out early Teens, Rule Reversal/ecogeographical mishmash maybe.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 09:36 PM

Something quite magical about maps Spitty, like others on here I love them. I have a massive collection of O/S Landrangers, my prefered map when out in the wild places.
I also had boxes of A to Z's covering just about all of England for use when I was a courier. (sat navs were just coming in as I was just going out) but I much prefer planning routes on a map, with the mystical and interesting places they can take you. Even while sat in your armchair....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-03-2021, 09:50 PM

Yes OGF, the magic is contained within. One day, one of these old maps will say "You are Here".
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yes OGF, the magic is contained within. One day, one of these old maps will say "You are Here".
Wouldn't it be great if you could look at an old map, touch a place and be transported back to the past, and be able to walk around there unobserved.....

Where will this mornings walk take me?.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

31-03-2021, 07:11 AM

That's uncanny OGF, just planned mine (did have a rough idea though).

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top