Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 10:03 AM

Re: No 10 may no longer routinely disclose PM's phone calls with world leaders

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Note the word 'may' more speculation by the Guardian, it has become a dreadful spiteful little paper a shadow of its former self .

I think it would be a good thing anyway if every discussion wasn't routinely made public before hand. These days the media love tell us what is going to be announced before it is. I am sick of hearing ''So and so will make a speech today telling us'' defeating the whole purpose of the speech or announcement
The Guardian is like Sky News... perpetual speculation.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I get your point, Zaphod - but I would have more confidence in a government that I see openly communicating with other countries, rather than silence. Silence can be misinterpreted, don't you think?
It can indeed but I've pointed out that it's not necessarily negative.

IMHO there's been far too many deliberately-misinterpreted attempts to cause division one way or another so personally I'm all for a change in approach.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Absolutely on the button Zaphod. For years I've railed against government intentions being trumpeted out only to find them completely misrepresented, especially in the left wing media.

On a slightly different tack one of the worst pieces of legislation to be enacted was the Freedom of Information Act, which now used mainly for undermining government or just general mischief making.

Personally I think it's time we saw more balance and if this is a start towards that I'm all for it.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

31-03-2021, 10:07 AM

Note the word 'may' more speculation by the Guardian, it has become a dreadful spiteful little paper a shadow of its former self .

I think it would be a good thing anyway if every discussion wasn't routinely made public before hand. These days the media love tell us what is going to be announced before it is. I am sick of hearing ''So and so will make a speech today telling us'' defeating the whole purpose of the speech or announcement
Unfortunately it's only one of an increasing number of spiteful media outlets with the BBC sadly all-too-often being one of the worst offenders.
I'm in absolute agreement with what you say regarding pre-announcements too.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
First the Presidential briefing-room, next due is the Presidential situation-room .....
Oh, for God's sake Omah, wind yer neck in. Haven't you heard of COBRA?

Regarding the Grauniad, I'm sure I read somewhere some time ago, that rag will be moving back to its roots in Manchester and changing its name back to the Manchester Guardian following falling sales.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Oh, for God's sake Omah, wind yer neck in. Haven't you heard of COBRA?
Wind yer (sic) neck in yourself, matey .....

Government to spend £9m on Whitehall 'situation room'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...oom-criticised

The government has earmarked more than £9m for creating a US-style “situation room” at Whitehall – the latest in a series of expensive refurbishments that have drawn criticism, given the 1% pay offer proposed for NHS staff.

Downing Street sources confirmed that the government’s review into foreign and defence policy, when it is unveiled on 16 March, will include the creation of a situation centre in the Cabinet Office. The room is due to be operational by the summer.

The Cabinet Office budget has set aside £9.3m for the renovation, which will fit the room with interactive dashboards and heat maps so it can be used as a command centre during emergencies like terror attacks and epidemics.
Do try and keep up .....

£9m Boris bunker at the heart of an army fit for the future

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9...ture-g7w3fbhtd

The Situation Centre — or SitCen — is next door to the Cobra meeting rooms in the basement of the Cabinet Office, where ministers currently meet in emergencies.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Wind yer (sic) neck in yourself, matey .....

Government to spend £9m on Whitehall 'situation room'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...oom-criticised

Do try and keep up .....

£9m Boris bunker at the heart of an army fit for the future

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9...ture-g7w3fbhtd
Why you hate investment so much ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 04:50 PM

Good point Meg. The word 'May' should be banned from all newspaper headlines. the DM is at it too with this may happen and that may happen.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top