Join for free
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 08:37 PM

A confused Daffodil?

I took this photo while out with the dog earlier....it was the only daffodil of this colour in the surrounding patch. I have never seen one like this? Is it a hybrid, or just being a bit eccentric?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	confused Daffodil.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	15185  
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 08:40 PM

Re: A confused Daffodil?

It looks more like a Narcissus to me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 08:41 PM

You can get Daffs and Narcissus with pink centres, white, yellow, orange . . . all sorts, Pixie.
They are not just yellow any more.

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 08:48 PM

Oh my word!! Thanks Mags and Mups! I had no idea there were so many variations.....especially as it was the only one there. Well, there ya go - learn something new every day!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 10:29 PM

Oh, how pretty and educational!

You all put our gardens to shame.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 01:12 PM

"Daffs and Narcissus"? But isn't narcissus the scientific name for daffodil anyway? So daffodils and narcissi are the same thing, with lots of different varieties.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

31-03-2021, 01:15 PM

That would make sense, Sheba, seeing as they look the same apart from colouring. I wish I had a garden so I could grow hundreds of them - such a cheery flower!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 02:57 PM

I agree, they're beautiful flowers. Pity their life is so relatively short. Bit like cherry blossom - it's breathtakingly beautiful when it's in full bloom, but how long does it last? About 2 weeks. And then your garden is covered in rotting brown petals. Followed by your garden being covered in leaves in the autumn (I speak from experience - we had two at our last house )
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

31-03-2021, 03:36 PM

Oh I know...beautiful things should last forever, instead of being short and sweet. These daffodils are in the grounds of the church, and its nice that nobody picks them, despite the prices of them in the shops.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

31-03-2021, 05:51 PM

Our local church has cherry blossom trees lining the path, each side. It looks so beautiful in the spring. We've also got a fabulous blossom tree just round the corner outside a pub, which is just coming into bloom now. It's the most wonderful shaped tree, so perfect and we always love seeing it every year.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top