Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 06:44 PM

Covid: Australia falls 85% short of vaccine delivery goal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56585365

Australia has fallen 3.4 million doses short of its target of delivering four million Covid vaccinations by 31 March, prompting criticism of the government.

The 85% shortfall comes two days after Brisbane entered another snap lockdown to combat a small outbreak.

Last week the government said the vaccine rollout did not demand urgency given Australia's low infection rates.

The country has recorded 909 deaths and 29,300 cases since the pandemic began - far fewer than many other nations.

But sporadic outbreaks have led to six lockdowns in cities in recent months. Critics say situations like Brisbane's outbreak show why a quick vaccine programme is still needed.

Brisbane's two clusters have been linked to a nurse and a doctor who contracted the virus from a Covid ward at the same hospital.

It's unclear why those health workers had not yet been vaccinated, officials said.
Blimey - some shortfall .....

No doubt the Aussie response is "No worries, mate" .....
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:53 PM

Re: Covid: Australia falls 85% short of vaccine delivery goal

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56585365

Blimey - some shortfall .....

No doubt the Aussie response is "No worries, mate" .....

This report is disappointing. The rollout is obviously lagging. There are lots of reasons for this. I have highlighted one part pf the report. This point gets one line..."Australia and New Zealand ( From here on take it that I speak for both countries) has had a lower number of cases per captia..etc" And I've only done this, Omah, for three reasons. And excuse the length of the post. I believe it is warranted.

1. Your posts are usually informative and reliable. You are one of the people here that I have admired the most because you present things in a balanced and objective way. High;ighting this shortfall is a valid comment. No problem with that.

2. My question is do people think that the low rate of infection and spread of the virus PER CAPITA..Not based purely on population size..and the level of control Australia has gained over it has been due entirely to luck?.or the fact that it is "an island" ??..I mean really. What is the UK?...No it has been due to NOT adopting a "We demand to do what we want..We won't wear masks..we want to party. We don;t want to give up our freedom" That has been the prevailing attitude in many other countries..Particularly Europe. A large percentage of people flouting mask rules..The ones you saw on Bondi Beach..were tourists and backpackers. Not luck. Not complacency. It was due to bloody hard work on the part of everybody. From the Surgeon General down to the pensioners and mums and dads and schoolkids. We tackled this thing Early Omah. I know because I'm here. . And that is how Australia was among the most successful countries in the world in handling this thing. Not too long ago YOUR country was requesting consultancy from Australia on logistics in handling quarantine.

3. You last comment is not like you. Omah. In light of what I have pointed out to you mate. It is pretty unfair if I may say so. Let alone being totally inaccurate. I think people in the UK misread Australian optimism for complacency. Goodness me if we really were that complacent, with our environment we would have tanked long ago. Look at the fires, the floods, the drought, the cyclones.. Do you see people wailing and screaming and killing each other fighting over supplies and help like you might in other places in the world?..Do you see people fatalistically giving up and relying on some "god"..?No. Do you see peope whingeing and whiningY and blaming everybody else instead of finding something to do? No. You see people just getting on with it and helping each other.

The BBC report is accurate. Things are going slow. This is to do with caution as much as anything else. Our PM is under the pump from just about every interest group around right now. The government has hung in on just about everything. The state premiers have been like generals. They have all done a magnificent job.

My point then is, a "she'll be right attitude" has not been a stand out feature of this whole sad story for us. Funny that the Americans have had nothing but non stop praise for our handling of the virus. They have asked us for a lot of ideas. In handling wild fires and in handling the virus. Their health system in a dog's breakfast and that's being kind. BUt at least they are not too proud to ask for help. And like with the UK, we have been only too glad to help. Because they sure have helped us in the past. In times past when we were so busy helping others that we left ourselves v vulnerable. No medals needed. Just fairness.

But hey Omah. all in all you are great. YOu are forgiven!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I think you've over-reacted to what was intended to be a remark to take the edge of what is, after all, a damning report of a government program - even the lamentable English Test and Trace program has never been 85% below target .....

The report goes on to say:

Australia is administering the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines and has a rate of 2.3 vaccines per 100 people. That is expected to increase in coming months as vaccine access is opened up to the wider population.

On Wednesday, Health Minister Greg Hunt said a record 72,826 vaccinations had been given in the past day - taking the total to 670,000.

"That's showing that the national vaccination programme is accelerating exactly as intended in the manner that was intended," he told reporters.
But in January, Prime Minister Scott Morrison promised to have four million people inoculated with their first shot by March.

Earlier this month, the government pushed that target back to April, and said six million people would be vaccinated by mid-May.

It has also dialled back a promise to have every Australian fully vaccinated by October - now saying that everyone will have received a first shot by then.
No comment.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 11:50 PM

GOd I hoped at least you wouldn't resort to the old "You've over reacted" chestnut. Does a detailed, balanced and respectful but contrary response to something always have to be an "over reaction" ?! Did I dispute any aspect of your post?..Did I not say the post is accurate?..I read it all the first time Omah. I gave you credit for your other good posts. I=t was the flippant and totally inaccurate "She'll be right" stereotype crack that I objected to. I still do. Regardless of whether Australia has been slow with one aspect of the program or not..cheap shots eith er way do not help at all. And they certainly do not take the edge off anything. YOu take care of lamentable aspects of the covid mess in your country..and we'll take care of things we stuff up. And lets ALL try to be helpful to each other yeah?.It's not an international competition to see who does best. BUt seeing that you've brought it up.........Anyway no doubt you will maintain your position. I will certainly maintain mine. You've put your two cents worth in and I've put in mine. I don't want to argue over this any more but you can on your own if you like. I'm off to have an eye operation now. I'm nervous. Wish me luck.And Happy trails to you..
keezoy
Australia

01-04-2021, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
You sound like the typical thin-skinned Aussie, the sort who likes to dish out criticism of others but takes any adverse comment on Australia as a personal insult ..... well, goodonyermate, as long as you stay in that infernal country on the far side of the world .....

Whatever you think is a fair thing mate. Ive lived in uk and us. Still more than happy with my side of the world.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 03:27 AM

keezoy
Australia

02-04-2021, 01:44 AM

Omah I think your notion of the "typical Aussie" is rooted somewhere in the middle of the last century..At the latest. But never mind. I think it is reasonable to say that rankings of quality of life and standard of living side by side provide a reasonably comprehensive picture of how "infernal" a country is. So I have cracked myself a tube, settled down on my sun baked porch, pushed my cork rimmed hat back on my head and done some research for you on the peddle wireless set. It is there below. As you see there are multiple criteria. One slow vaccine rollout doesn't cancel all that out. As I said you seem to mistake optimism tempered by caution; for complacency. You obviously have never been to Australia. But if you had been you didn't learn anything. Here's some up to date information for you to ignore.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...ing-by-country
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 02:14 PM

I can understand that maybe Australia's immediate need for vaccination isn't as desperate as say countries with greater infection rates but I'm interested to know if Aussies are concerned, and is the slow rate down to vaccine availability or to a slow rollout?
keezoy
Australia

03-04-2021, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I can understand that maybe Australia's immediate need for vaccination isn't as desperate as say countries with greater infection rates but I'm interested to know if Aussies are concerned, and is the slow rate down to vaccine availability or to a slow rollout?

All of the above I think Zaphod. There is a lot of argy bargy between the states and the federal government about the logistics of the rollout. We have handled the whole thing exceptionally well up to now. This latest thing is part over whether to buy vaccines from overseas or just make our own which is happening now as well. I'm not sure where Morrison got his target of 4 million from. But most experts seem to think we will catch up pretty quickly. All of the surgeons general/ chief medical officers seem to think so.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 07:21 AM

I wish I was in Australia .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top