Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 08:03 PM

Medication

All I can taste is medication in my mouth, do you get that taste..I’m wondering if it’s the amoxicillin I’m taking, they are huge capsules..500 mg...horrible taste in my mouth.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 08:28 PM

Re: Medication

Pauline, two things come to mind here -

1. Swill the pill down with lots of water, or brush your teeth if its that bad.

2. Have your meds before your meal so the food will be the only after -taste left.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 08:35 PM

Drink plenty of water. Avoid grapefruit and citrus and dairy. There is no way to avoid the taste but it's only a few days.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Drink plenty of water. Avoid grapefruit and citrus and dairy. There is no way to avoid the taste but it's only a few days.
Why do these things have to be avoided, Annie? Nobody said to me about avoiding them when I had to take them! Do they make it less effective or something?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the advice,Annie, Mups.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Why do these things have to be avoided, Annie? Nobody said to me about avoiding them when I had to take them! Do they make it less effective or something?
well grapefruit is a big deal for various meds. It can increase the action of several medications because it stops you getting rid of it, so that in effect there's an overdose effect. You should avoid calcium rich foods as they can stop the medication being absorbed. Citrus can also affect absorption.

Doctors don't really make a thing of the interactions unless they affect a significant part of the population. but grapefruit is a well known trouble maker.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

31-03-2021, 09:28 PM

Look there's an nhs page on grapefruit

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...t-my-medicine/
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:30 PM

Look there's an nhs page on grapefruit

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...t-my-medicine/
Thank you so much! I always did wonder why Mr P said he couldn't have grapefruit - not that we are big fans anyway, but I do like grapefruit juice occasionally.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:32 PM

well grapefruit is a big deal for various meds. It can increase the action of several medications because it stops you getting rid of it, so that in effect there's an overdose effect. You should avoid calcium rich foods as they can stop the medication being absorbed. Citrus can also affect absorption.

Doctors don't really make a thing of the interactions unless they affect a significant part of the population. but grapefruit is a well known trouble maker.

I didn't know about grapefruit with anti bios Annie, but I know its bad with Statins.
Why don't the buggers tell you these things when they prescribe them?

P.s. just had a look at the NHS link, but couldn't see any reference to penicillin type meds? I am interested because I usually have these in the summer at some point, when I get bad insect bites.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

31-03-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I didn't know about grapefruit with anti bios Annie, but I know its bad with Statins.
Why don't the buggers tell you these things when they prescribe them?

P.s. just had a look at the NHS link, but couldn't see any reference to penicillin type meds? I am interested because I usually have these in the summer at some point, when I get bad insect bites.
Well that's what I mean about conveyor belt medicine Mups. I don't think grapefruit has a statistically significant enough effect on antibiotics to give them a mention. But I know they contra indicate it for everything. this is an ncbi study but do you remember when realist used to post about grapefruit seed being a cure all?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3589309/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top