Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 02:30 PM

Re: Dog breeders are raking it in

Mups my neighbours drove to the midlands to view this puppy and will pick it up next week so some breeders are allowing people to view them.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 02:35 PM

Just had a quick look in my local area for prices....mixed breeds are selling for no less than £1,500! Most expensive was a French bulldog, going for £3,500.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 02:45 PM

Having a dog in one's life should always be about the dog first, and the person second.

Breeding for profit should be illegal; commoditizing and monetizing dogs is beyond sad..

Were that dogs to decide our worthiness based on the criteria that we assign to being a "good dog".

The whole enterprise breaks my heart.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 08:13 PM

My granddaughter has just bought a miniature dachshund bitch and paid £2000. I nearly fell over backwards when she told me. It was bred by a friend of a friend, so she could see mum and dad and has been longing for a dachsie for ever. She did admit that this little scrap cost more than her eventing mare!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Mups my neighbours drove to the midlands to view this puppy and will pick it up next week so some breeders are allowing people to view them.

This was what a breeder told me a while back when we weren't supposed to travelling far, Muddy. She said people wouldn't be able to visit the litter.

We've only just been allowed to have people indoors again haven't we?
These ever changing regs are confusing!

I suppose some breeders house their litters outside in kennels and out buildings etc, so maybe they let people view, I don't know.

Others of course, will just disregard the rules for dosh anyway.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Having a dog in one's life should always be about the dog first, and the person second.

Breeding for profit should be illegal; commoditizing and monetizing dogs is beyond sad..

Were that dogs to decide our worthiness based on the criteria that we assign to being a "good dog".

The whole enterprise breaks my heart.
Barking mad. The trend for so called 'designer dogs'
nauseating.

https://thebark.com/content/truth-be...d-dog-breeding

The creator of the labradoodle says he made 'Frakenstein' s monster'.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 10:52 PM

Cinders, the latest I read is they have moved on from the Labradoodles and now breeding . . . Labradiddies, and Labradinkydoodles.
In other words, they are breeding miniatures of the previous cross!
The smallest being only about 25cm high.

I seriously question the ethics of using a Toy Poodle with a Labrador, especially if the Lab is the male. If that doesn't make a difficult whelping for the little Poodle I don't know what will, let alone how does the little Poodle bitch take a Labs weight on her small back?

If it is the other way round, and the male is the toy poodle, they have to stand them on something before he can even reach the female Lab!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 11:00 PM

I would go to a rescue kennels for a dog if I wanted one. There are far too many dogs being dumped when they get too big or the novelty wears off. All our dogs came from rescue kennels.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-04-2021, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I would go to a rescue kennels for a dog if I wanted one. There are far too many dogs being dumped when they get too big or the novelty wears off. All our dogs came from rescue kennels.

Trouble is Tiff, now most of us are getting on a bit, a lot of the rescues won't let us have one of their dogs.

I recently heard of one rescue that won't rehome to anyone over 60! Doesn't seem to matter that we've had a lifetime of experience, they'd rather rehome to a young family where kids pull them about and the parents are at work!
Where's the sense in that?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Trouble is Tiff, now most of us are getting on a bit, a lot of the rescues won't let us have one of their dogs.

I recently heard of one rescue that won't rehome to anyone over 60! Doesn't seem to matter that we've had a lifetime of experience, they'd rather rehome to a young family where kids pull them about and the parents are at work!
Where's the sense in that?
Mups when you mentioned that to me before, I was astounded. Here, kennels are overflowing, so that's not an issue. I am not sure it is even legal to deny someone a dog based on a person's age. Especially if they were getting any government funding or tax breaks.

You make such a good point about the advantage of matching dogs to retired people. In fact, the best owners for older dogs might well be older people who have quieter homes and more empathy for their needs.

I wish I could fill a plane with the unwanted ones here - older, neglected, abused, deformed, special needs and get them into the arms of the 60+ people there who would love them so.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top