Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 01:49 AM

Covid: Rapid tests to be offered twice-weekly in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56632084

Everyone in England is to be given access to two rapid coronavirus tests a week from Friday, under an extension of the government's testing programme. The lateral flow kits, which can provide results in around 30 minutes, will be available for free at testing sites, pharmacies and through the post.The tests are already offered to school children and their families plus those who have to leave home for work.

The health secretary said the plan would help squash future outbreaks. But critics of the programme say it risks becoming a "scandalous" waste of money. The tests, aimed at those without any Covid symptoms, can be taken at home.

The government introduced lateral flow testing for secondary school children and staff earlier this year, under plans to reopen classes in England by March. In February, the scheme was extended to the families of all school and college-age children in England. Kits were also offered to those who cannot work from home in the pandemic, so they can be tested twice a week.

From 9 April, kits will be available through:
  • Community testing sites operated by local authorities
  • Collection from a nearby PCR test site during specific time windows
  • Existing workplace testing programmes
  • An online home ordering service with kits then delivered through the post
  • Participating local pharmacies where a box of 7 tests can be collected to be used twice a week at home

Anyone who tests positive using a lateral flow test will be expected to self-isolate along with their household. They can then order a second PCR Covid test, typically used for symptomatic cases, which will be sent off to a laboratory for analysis.

If the confirmatory test comes back negative, their quarantine period is considered over immediately and they can resume normal life.

The schools testing programme, combined with the wider use of workplace testing, has led to a jump in the number of lateral flow tests carried out in England. There were about 250,000 rapid tests a day taken in mid-February - climbing to more than a million a day by the end of March.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: "Around one in three people who have Covid-19 show no symptoms, and as we reopen society and resume parts of life we have missed, regular rapid testing is going to be fundamental in helping us quickly spot positive cases and squash any outbreaks."

Labour's shadow health secretary, Jonathan Ashworth, said any expansion of the testing scheme must be backed by financial support so people could self-isolate. People who are sick with Covid are still forced to choose between self-isolation or feeding their families," he said. "Lack of adequate sick pay and support remains a dangerous hole in our defences against this horrific virus."

The latest data show that, of the 4.2 million lateral flow tests taken in schools and colleges in the week from 18 to 24 March, 4,502 returned a positive result.

Critics of the programme say that when rates are at low levels, it makes it hard to distinguish between actual infections and so-called "false positives" - an error where the test registers a positive result incorrectly.

"Mass testing is a scandalous waste of money," said Allyson Pollock, professor of public health at Newcastle University. When the prevalence rate of coronavirus falls as low as it is at the moment then an increasing proportion of cases are likely to be false positives meaning that cases and contacts will self isolate unnecessarily. It is likely that mass testing is going to do more harm than good. We still haven't seen an evaluation of mass testing programmes by the government and the UK national screening committee should be asked to advise."
The government recently changed its policy in England, reintroducing the requirement for secondary school children to take a second PCR or lab test if their first rapid lateral flow test came back positive in school. The change came after parents and scientists warned some pupils were self-isolating unnecessarily after just returning to the classroom.

The government said that for every 1,000 lateral flow tests carried out, there was less than one false positive result, and the rapid tests were particularly useful at detecting high levels of virus.
This smacks of being a PR exercise ..... "Everybody gets tested" .....

However, the accuracy of lateral flow tests is currently contentious and I, for one, would be (more than) extremely annoyed at spending a week (or more) in isolation after such a test returned positive only to discover that a polymerase chain reaction test returned negative.

If the accuracy of lateral flow tests was to reach 90% or more then I might be encouraged to participate in the program.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n287

Lateral flow tests are pivotal to the UK government’s strategy to reduce the spread of the coronavirus by identifying asymptomatic patients but there are questions over their accuracy.

As many as 384 million kits have been ordered by the UK government at a cost of over £1.3bn (€1.5bn; $1.8bn), with most being spent on a test made by the US firm Innova Group. And an additional £0.9bn worth of contracts have just closed. Lateral flow tests have become a lucrative business in the covid-19 pandemic.

Public Health England’s evaluation of the Innova test showed that its sensitivity was 79.2% when used by trained laboratory scientists, 73% when used by trained healthcare staff, but only 57.5% when used by track and trace centre staff employed by the pharmacy chain Boots.

WHO says that lateral flow tests are more likely to detect positive cases when viral loads are highest and patients are most infectious—typically, one to three days before the onset of symptoms and during the first five to seven days after the onset of symptoms. WHO’s Essential Diagnostics Test states that negative results should never be used as a basis of decision making.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 05:35 AM

Re: Covid: Rapid tests to be offered twice-weekly in England

Hi

A complete waste of time.

The kids are having tem, one positive and they are flocking round to get a positive test to avoid school.

A great money earner for some.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:42 AM

Wales not following England in rapid covid tests for all

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...d-covid-tests/

A spokeswoman for the Welsh Government said: “Our revised Testing Strategy sets out how we are supporting regular asymptomatic testing.

"We are already providing access to more than 22 per cent of our total population to regular testing and this continues to grow with the expansion of our workplace and community testing programmes.”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56632084

The Scottish Government said it was expanding rapid testing in hospitals, care homes, schools and in the community to spot asymptomatic cases in high prevalence areas, while also "considering the implications" of the announcement in England.
Just England, then .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-04-2021, 10:56 AM

How to do a lateral flow test at home

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-56326456 (video)

Not for those with a sensitive gagging reflex .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:59 AM

Yes, it seems its just England.... ah well. At least they seem to be doing something I suppose. I think Scotland might follow suit if its successful down south!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:06 AM

I never see or get close enough to anybody else to either catch the virus or pass it on (except to Mrs Fox) So unless I'm laying in bed struggling for breath, sweating like a bull, and wanting to die, I'll assume that I am clear of covid...Life is in isolation these days anyway....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:19 PM

I'm not interested in having two stick up the nose tests a week. No thank you!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm not interested in having two stick up the nose tests a week. No thank you!
No me neither Annie, have you seen how long those sticks are....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 08:37 PM

Is this about those FREE testing kits available from many pharmacies so we can test ourselves twice a week?

I had an email from Lloyd's pharmacy just today, saying I can go and collect my kit.
There are 7 tests to a box. I am not sure now if it said we can have 2 free boxes or 4.

There are two or three pharmacies local to me who are offering these kits.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-04-2021, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Is this about those FREE testing kits available from many pharmacies so we can test ourselves twice a week?

I had an email from Lloyd's pharmacy just today, saying I can go and collect my kit.
There are 7 tests to a box. I am not sure now if it said we can have 2 free boxes or 4.

There are two or three pharmacies local to me who are offering these kits.
I'm taking my daughter to a hospital in Leeds on Friday Mups for a major operation. Mrs Fox will be helping to look after her when her hubby goes back to work in a weeks time. So to make sure we haven't got the virus I got one of those kits from the Tesco, and it was free!

I did my test on Monday because I had to take her to Leeds on tuesday for her pre op. My test came back negative.... Mrs Fox will be taking her test on Thursday because she will be accompanying us on Friday....

The test is really good provided you follow the instruction booklet enclosed. After the test you must call it in to the NHS and they text you confirmation of the test.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top