Join for free
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 08:41 AM

Patient rang 999 from hospital bed,

Patient rang 999 from hospital bed after being refused oxygen

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...inquest-hears/

You couldn't make it up.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:10 AM

Re: Patient rang 999 from hospital bed,

I pity that poor young man. It is quite common for hospital staff to underestimate a patients level of pain. at minimum he should have been given pain meds AND oxygen.
It sounds like he was fighting for his life. I don't blame him one bit for calling 999. unfortunately, it didn't help.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:33 AM

I had a similar experience when my wife was admitted to hospital with the effects of Scoliosis.

The nursing staff had no idea at all of how life threatening Scoliosis could become.

I really don't understand why patients aren't listened to - after all they know more about their conditions than the nursing staff do.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:33 AM

I still resent the team who did my op 7 years ago. They would rather have left me to writhe about the bed in agony before giving oxycodone late at night, when paracetamols had failed. I even phoned PALS and was about to start a complaint. They did cave in and let me take oxycodone away with me, but I was too scared to take many more, being an addictive drug. I also got tramadol, but kept them low.

I still have pain now.
PooBear
United Kingdom

05-04-2021, 11:23 AM

Jazzi, have you tried pain management?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:50 AM

I went to the pain management team at the hospital. I was discharged years ago. They couldn’t really offer me anything. I had the TENs treatment in my ankle for a course of how ever many weeks, but am just now taking paracetamols as and when it gets a bit too much. I sometimes add a nurofen but shouldn’t take them. They may have kept me off a high pain relief because of my current meds.

They must have been pretty brutal in what they did.

ETA. I no longer live in London, where I had the surgery. In hindsight I should never have gone ahead with it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top