Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 01:27 AM

Matt Hancock summoned to the High Court to justify why non-essential shops can open

..... before pubs

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/m...s-b927811.html

The legal action has been brought by Pizza Express founder Hugh Osmond and nightclubs operator Sacha Lord, The Sunday Telegraph reports. The paper says it has seen High Court documents which show the two businessmen are challenging "the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Steps) (England) Regulations 2021 to the extent that those Regulations provide for non-essential retail businesses to reopen before indoor hospitality businesses".

Mr Justice Swift has ordered the Health Secretary “to serve and file his response” by 10am on Tuesday.

Shops, hairdressers, nail salons, libraries and outdoor hospitality venues such as beer gardens are expected to reopen from April 12. But indoor hospitality and entertainment venues will not be able to open their doors until at least May 17.

Both Mr Osmond and Mr Lord believe hospitality in England should also be allowed to open indoor areas in April because the risk of Covid-19 transmission is higher in shops than it is in pubs and restaurants.
I'm not personally bothered about the status of non-essential shops or pubs at the moment but I am pleased that government ministers may still be held accountable in the law courts .....

As we know, a High Court judge has already ruled that Matt Hancock and his department acted unlawfully in failing to publish details of dozens of contracts awarded without competition for goods and services such as personal protective equipment (PPE) needed during the covid-19 pandemic.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 08:34 AM

Re: Matt Hancock summoned to the High Court to justify why non-essential shops can open

Oooh I'll be interested to see how this progresses....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 08:49 AM

Re: Matt Hancock summoned to the High Court to justify why non-essential shops can open

Matt Hancock summoned to the High Court to justify why non-essential shops can open
..... before pubs
I would have thought 'why' was obvious.
Pubs may have large numbers of people sitting together for long periods of time spreading the virus , shops have smaller numbers of people going in and out quickly,
Pubs have people who may have too much to drink and forget about social distancing, shops do not.

I wish some people would stop and think rather that suggesting things that might risk negating the measures we have all had to put up with for a year. We are only talking a matter of a couple more weeks before pubs open anyway .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Pubs may have large numbers of people sitting together for long periods of time spreading the virus , shops have smaller numbers of people going in and out quickly,
Pubs have people who may have too much to drink and forget about social distancing, shops do not.

I wish some people would stop and think rather that suggesting things that might risk negating the measures we have all had to put up with for a year. We are only talking a matter of a couple more weeks before pubs open anyway .
Bang on the button. This is 100% political, probably because of 1922 shower interfering, and yet another reason we NEED a written constitution.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 09:52 AM

They can all go to hell in a handcart, after I get my hair cut.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 09:58 AM

I know 2 landlords who own pubs where I live. One pub is just outside of town, has the strictest and safest Covid rules imaginable and is popular with my generation of people. The other is in town and has a much younger generation.

I've heard that there are people taking the 12 April off work to sit all day getting sh*t faced at the pub with 5 of their mates so you can imagine what covid rules will look like after a few hours, the noise and all the drunken behaviour that comes with it.

Although I hate the situation, I'm with Boris on this one, a few more weeks will make a lot of difference in vaccine uptake and we will be safer for it.

I'm steering clear of the pub next week because I know it will be a complete nightmare with all the p1ss heads. Let them get it out of their system over the next few weeks outside before letting them inside to inflict more misery on the rest of us who drink sensibly and can behave ourselves.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 10:36 AM

Well, I didn't suggest it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/145449...al-shops-pubs/

Mr Lord said: "The Government has failed to introduce any new evidence as to why indoor hospitality cannot open on April 12 alongside non-essential retail and we will now be taking this case to the High Court for an expedited Judicial Review. While we're pleased beer gardens will be reopening from 12 April, many venues don't have the space or financial capabilities to have an outdoor area, and as we know very well in Manchester, the weather is not always kind. Operators have spent hundreds of thousands of pounds creating indoor Covid secure environments, as advised by Ministers themselves, and we firmly believe these regulated, ventilated venues have much safer measures and greater social distancing in place than retail stores. This is not a hospitality versus retail argument, but Government decisions must operate on a level playing field and be supported by evidence. We currently see no clear justification for the delay."
I am interested to see how the arguments stack up in court, though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Well, I didn't suggest it.
No one suggested you did
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 10:47 AM

Quite so and hurrah for common sense.
It's just more political shenanigans where the only winners will be the avaricious legal profession.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 12:43 PM

Absolutely spot on, and I do not for one minute believe that those bringing this action are not capable of reasoning this out for themselves. Of course they know why, it's all about scoring political points.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top