Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 02:54 PM

Re: Bmi

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
BMI does not seem to take into account that as we age our metabolism slows so it's easier to put on weight. Also as we age our height reduces so the height to weight ratio used for assessing BMI will probably be inaccurate.

https://www.abc.net.au/health/talkin...20/4164317.htm
I've just checked my height and you are right, I've lost an inch, so I'm an inch shorter. I wonder where it went to?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Folks ain't complaining about the validity or accuracy of the ratings, they are complaining about being stigmatised by a number.
I realise that but it's even worse when that number is inaccurate– they may be stigmatised when they shouldn't be anyway!

Another poster also pointed out that some people are more muscular than others so how can one calculation suit all humans? We are all very different in so many ways!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I realise that but it's even worse when that number is inaccurate– they may be stigmatised when they shouldn't be anyway!

Another poster also pointed out that some people are more muscular than others so how can one calculation suit all humans? We are all very different in so many ways!

Perhaps that's why BMI has such large parameters from 18 to 25 being recommended?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Perhaps that's why BMI has such large parameters from 18 to 25 being recommended?
Yes, that's a point I hadn't thought too much about. It's quite surprising also, when checking this out, to find that Black, Asian and other minority ethnic groups have a higher risk of developing some long-term (chronic) conditions, such as type 2 diabetes.

There's some interesting information on the NHS links below, also there's a calculator to check your body mass index (BMI) and find out if you're a healthy weight. I know only too well that I am not as I once was, the coronavirus lockdown plus cold weather, which affects my health, put an end to most exercising so on went the weight:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...ass-index-bmi/

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy...mi-calculator/
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 07:03 PM

I think many folks will be finding their BMI is out of whack this past year, Baz. All we can do is try to get healthier again once restrictions ease off.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 08:33 PM

I don't give a hoot about BMI, it's just another stick for Doctors to use against us. I know I have put on weight this past year but I'm not swimming 50 lengths a day now. Once I can return I'll lose the weight again as I'll get my life and exercise back to normal.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 08:27 AM

That's the way it should be, use the numbers for the right reasons.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top