Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 10:31 AM

Re: UK should be grateful

Originally Posted by reg ->
Fantastic country with wonderful people.

I'm waiting to go again(Berlin) after my trip last year was cancelled.
I've been very interested in Michael Portillo's Great train journeys Reg, and he was traveling around Germany, it looked very nice, and it's not a place I had considered visiting before.
We have met many Germans during our holidays abroad and found most of them very friendly and polite, not at all like the stereo type image that people seem to have labeled them as... It will definitely be on my list of places to visit after the covid scare has receded.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I really don't understand why anyone would want to go to Germany for a holiday. Particularly in the Summer. Once the sun comes out the humidity there can be unbearable and in the winter it's the coldest of cold. Berlin is interesting but other than that I don't see the appeal at all. I've travelled widely across Germany just in case you're wondering about my strong opinions on this. It has the weirdest atmosphere of any country I've been yet. Denmark is far more fun & laid back.
I totally agree .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I really don't understand why anyone would want to go to Germany for a holiday. Particularly in the Summer. Once the sun comes out the humidity there can be unbearable and in the winter it's the coldest of cold. Berlin is interesting but other than that I don't see the appeal at all. I've travelled widely across Germany just in case you're wondering about my strong opinions on this. It has the weirdest atmosphere of any country I've been yet. Denmark is far more fun & laid back.
You must have gone to the wrong places then Annie??
I suspect you went to four or five star hotels??
That's not the place for fun in any country?
You must mix with "Der volk" l if you want fun !!
Have you never sat around a long wooden table in a tavern when the
drinking song was taking place ??
I found the ladies were very friendly too !!

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗🤗
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:37 AM

Michael Portillo visited a place where there was mountains, I think it was in the south of the country somewhere near the black forest. It looked very nice there....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've been very interested in Michael Portillo's Great train journeys Reg, and he was traveling around Germany, it looked very nice, and it's not a place I had considered visiting before.
We have met many Germans during our holidays abroad and found most of them very friendly and polite, not at all like the stereo type image that people seem to have labeled them as... It will definitely be on my list of places to visit after the covid scare has receded.
Quite right OGF, but don't travel first class, l remember being turfed
out of a posh resturaunt one lunchtime, they wouldn't even take our
order !!
We ended up eating in the railway station where every body was
asking us questions,( all in German of course!). Fun was had by all !!
Some of them tend to be a bit arrogant, but so do some of our
"upper class" too !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-04-2021, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Quite right OGF, but don't travel first class, l remember being turfed
out of a posh resturaunt one lunchtime, they wouldn't even take our
order !!
We ended up eating in the railway station where every body was
asking us questions,( all in German of course!). Fun was had by all !!
Some of them tend to be a bit arrogant, but so do some of our
"upper class" too !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Good advice Doneyman, thanks....
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Care for a good laugh? A bit off topic, but who cares?
Here goes!

The UK will be reliant on the EU to complete its vaccine rollout and a little recognition of that would not go amiss, the European commissioner leading Brussels’ vaccine taskforce has said – adding that Europe could have fully vaccinated 70% of adults before the UK reaches its own target of one dose for all over-18s by the end of July.

Thierry Breton also said*AstraZeneca*had agreed that almost all the Covid vaccine doses made in the Netherlands over which the UK has made a claim will stay in the EU.

The first phase of the UK’s vaccination rollout was “hugely impressive”, Breton said, but Britain was “starting to realise that one dose is not enough, that you also need second doses – and that to a large extent it will be dependent on Europe” for them.

He said the UK had chosen a company to produce the Oxford vaccine that “had the advantage of being based in Britain, but no real experience in vaccine production … And we’re seeing today what that means.” https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-says-brussels
Is it supposed to be a "laugh" because of how everybody in the UK knows that the Grauniad is blatantly biased in favour of the EU or for some other strange reason?
Hence their use of Thierry Breton, himself a noted French EUrophile.

It's thanks to the forethought of our government that the UK has very quickly gone from producing next-to-no vaccines here in the UK to becoming a major player in vaccine manufacturing.
Certainly one that is far less-reliant upon those that would attempt to interfere in our attempts to protect our own citizens.

From funding Oxford to from scratch produce a vaccine with AstraZeneca and produce this globally under license as the world's only not-for-profit manufacture is in itself commendable, but there is more.

Like funding Valneva (a French pharma company) back in July last year to expand production at Livingstone, funding their trials, and ordering 100 million doses of their vaccine if it proved effective.
Already phases 1 & 2 have gone well and soon phase 3 trials will get underway, and production began at the end of January in preperation for roll-out now that we've got options on 190 million doses.
The EU in contrast have as of today placed no order with Valneva for Covid vaccines.

Like funding the USA's Novavax stage 3 trials and placing an order for an initial 60 million doses of their vaccine provided it will be made at Stockton-on-Tees, with bottling now to be done in Bernard Castle.
MHRA approval is expected soon after successful trials and the factory here has a capacity of 180 million doses per year.
Novavax recently "delayed" signing a 100 million dose deal with the EU.
Whether or not that is the result of EU protectionism and their subsequent prevention of pharma companies based in the EU of fulfilling contracts is for others to decide.

But again as of today the EU has no agreed order with Novavax for Covid vaccines.

Then there is our VMIC which is soon to begin production with a capacity to produce a further 140 million doses plus per year in the UK on top of existing AstraZeneca production.
Plus the facilities in combination with Oxford to "tweak" vaccines to combat upcoming Covid variants, the first such which is due this autumn.

"The UK has not been a major manufacturer of vaccines, but the bullying and threats from Brussels means we soon will be. In effect, there has been an “Ursula dividend” as the UK works out it cannot rely on supplies from the other side of the English channel, and needs to make more stuff at home.

But it doesn’t stop there. The same logic will apply to a range of industries, from power, to transport, to financial services and food."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...cine-industry/
It's subscription-only so I don't know how much others can read.
What I do know is that fervent EUrophiles will dismiss out-of-hand the success already evident in the UK's vaccination strategy despite statistics which suggest that our plan looks to be the more-effective.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Care for a good laugh? A bit off topic, but who cares?
Here goes!

The UK will be reliant on the EU to complete its vaccine rollout and a little recognition of that would not go amiss, the European commissioner leading Brussels’ vaccine taskforce has said – adding that Europe could have fully vaccinated 70% of adults before the UK reaches its own target of one dose for all over-18s by the end of July.

Thierry Breton also said*AstraZeneca*had agreed that almost all the Covid vaccine doses made in the Netherlands over which the UK has made a claim will stay in the EU.

The first phase of the UK’s vaccination rollout was “hugely impressive”, Breton said, but Britain was “starting to realise that one dose is not enough, that you also need second doses – and that to a large extent it will be dependent on Europe” for them.

He said the UK had chosen a company to produce the Oxford vaccine that “had the advantage of being based in Britain, but no real experience in vaccine production … And we’re seeing today what that means.” https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-says-brussels
Solasch you seem to go out of your way to try and make the UK worried..... but it doesn't work !
I took my sister to have her first AZ jab yesterday & from the number of people there it seems that there is no shortage of the vaccine.
I have also been assured that there will be no shortage when I go for my second AZ jab on 27th April, so your post does not appear to be accurate.
Don't worry though, we are all aware that the EU have made lots of mistakes....that is why we got out!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

10-04-2021, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Solasch you seem to go out of your way to try and make the UK worried..... but it doesn't work !
I took my sister to have her first AZ jab yesterday & from the number of people there it seems that there is no shortage of the vaccine.
I have also been assured that there will be no shortage when I go for my second AZ jab on 27th April, so your post does not appear to be accurate.
Don't worry though, we are all aware that the EU have made lots of mistakes....that is why we got out!
Solly is very bitter about brexit Twink?
He really loved us being members for some obscure reason ??
I suspect he has interests in fishing or he would have given up
by now given that is the only outstanding issue to negotiate ??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Solly is very bitter about brexit Twink?
He really loved us being members for some obscure reason ??
I suspect he has interests in fishing or he would have given up
by now given that is the only outstanding issue to negotiate ??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Ahem.

Financial services?
Ireland/NI ?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top