Join for free
Page 12 of 25 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 02:14 PM

Re: Future of the Monarchy

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...n-royal-family

The modern monarchy and its personalities are really a branch of showbusiness. And, like the celebs, they have to do some good in order to continue to command respect.

Apart from their formal duties, that means plenty of charity work and establishing schemes such as the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. It is no longer enough, as it has not been for some time, just to go around cutting ribbons, making bland speeches and pinning medals on to lollipop ladies.

As the chair of “The Firm”, succeeding his father, the Prince of Wales will have to show more wisdom than he did in the past. The death of Prince Philip marks a peak in the monarchy’s popularity, and of affection for the Queen; the future is much more uncertain than it seems.

At his age you would think he will be more cautious.
A clip from the Independent, demonstrating that they are not at all independent and appear to be anti-monarchy!
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I don't find them loathsome, I hope our monarchy will go on and on
So do I.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
So do I.
So do I...
but without all the hangers-on and the House of Lords!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...n-royal-family

The modern monarchy and its personalities are really a branch of showbusiness. And, like the celebs, they have to do some good in order to continue to command respect.

Apart from their formal duties, that means plenty of charity work and establishing schemes such as the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. It is no longer enough, as it has not been for some time, just to go around cutting ribbons, making bland speeches and pinning medals on to lollipop ladies.

As the chair of “The Firm”, succeeding his father, the Prince of Wales will have to show more wisdom than he did in the past. The death of Prince Philip marks a peak in the monarchy’s popularity, and of affection for the Queen; the future is much more uncertain than it seems.

At his age you would think he will be more cautious.
How can he be more cautious he’s not exactly a fireball now.
Any fire that he had has gone out in his long wait for the throne .
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
So do I...
but without all the hangers-on and the House of Lords!
I agree about the HOL but I'd be interested to know exactly what "hangers-on" you mean together with evidence of how much the taxpayer is funding them?

I ask because I suspect that it's just one of those rummours without any basis in fact.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
How can he be more cautious he’s not exactly a fireball now.
Any fire that he had has gone out in his long wait for the throne .
He has been outspoken in the past, accused of being too political.

The so called "black spider memos" an example. As king he will have to refrain from any comments which his late wife believed he would find difficult.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 08:12 AM

Plans have been announced for Queen's Platinum Jubilee next year.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...mily-latest-VN

Royal correspondent Chris Ship questioned whether the Queen will step down after her Platinum Jubilee in 2022.

Speaking on ITV's Royal Rota, Mr Ship said: "I was having a Twitter conversation with royal expert Russell Myers about these claims that the Queen was going to stand down when she's 95 which is next April and have a regency.

"Whether you believe those claims or not, it's still possible to have a platinum jubilee because if you had a regency, the Queen would still be the Queen.

"She would hand all her power to Prince Charles.
Her Majesty The Queen’s accession to the throne is on 6th February 2022.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I agree about the HOL but I'd be interested to know exactly what "hangers-on" you mean together with evidence of how much the taxpayer is funding them?

I ask because I suspect that it's just one of those rummours without any basis in fact.
It's all of the costs involved in funding The Establishment in addition to all the costs of security, housing, maintenance, utilities and general expenses ++ that have to be met by the taxpayers. We get NOTHING in return. All the bringing in tourists etc is pure BS.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

14-04-2021, 04:17 PM

Rather money spent on the Establishment than public duty cost allowance (PDCA) for former Prime Ministers.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It's all of the costs involved in funding The Establishment in addition to all the costs of security, housing, maintenance, utilities and general expenses ++ that have to be met by the taxpayers. We get NOTHING in return. All the bringing in tourists etc is pure BS.
So no "hangers-on" too then?
Good.
I'm pleased that's sorted.

Page 12 of 25 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top