Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 09:45 PM

Re: The Weekly Whinge

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
We had to move the horses away from the fields beside the road, people would stop to pet them, feed them treats, go into the field with them, even let them out. They are up beside the house now where they can be seen through the window.
My friend who lives between Perth n Dundee has 19 horses, mostly rescues and some idiots let them all out onto the dual carriage way. What a carry on trying to catch them, police were there, locals were there, cars stopped to help. It took for ever to get them all back in, now they are also in a field away from the road.

That's awful, Roxy. Those poor horses must have wondered what was happening with all the people and traffic around them.

I used to ride when I was younger, and kept my horse in a field behind my Mum's house. Unfortunately there was a public footpath across it though and it always used to worry me abou people feeding them all sorts of unsuitable rubbish.

There used to be a lot of gipsy horses in fields in the next town to me, and loads of people used to take carrier bags of their stale and mouldy bread along to feed it to the horses. Some even used to throw the bags in the field too! I heard about one half-wit that even offered them his cigarette!
Bonfire night used to be another worry as I'd heard about some kids tying fireworks to their tails.

I always said I wouldn't keep another horse unless I could see him from my window.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I have to agree...some people locally have put up electric fencing around their field of sheep, with a sign that says "Do Not Feed The Sheep" Electric fencing though??

Electric fencing around livestock is perfectly legal, Pixie.
I think it has to have safety warning notices fixed at certain distances all along the fence though.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with you Judd. Silly woman.
That's probably why the previous people sold up, too.

It's like people who buy houses next door to a pub, then complain about noisy drunks, and car door slamming all the time.

I know of these properties Mups, she was definitely a first buyer, three units are still unsold, maybe because of this problem.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-04-2021, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I know of these properties Mups, she was definitely a first buyer, three units are still unsold, maybe because of this problem.

Sorry Spitty, I didn't see it was a new-build.

Wonder if she'll be able to sell it though?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 10:14 PM

Not a chance in hell, not just because of the road.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Do believe you are serious.

From article:

'I didn't realise there was an injunction regarding boy racers on the A446, they don't take any notice of it,' she added, revealing she had not researched the area before making the move.

The neighbours put up with it. Selling it her only option or extra soundproofing.
She didn't notice the traffic behind her garden fence.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

13-04-2021, 10:24 PM

She is lucky. of eleven or so properties, half a dozen don't actually have gardens.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I have to agree...some people locally have put up electric fencing around their field of sheep, with a sign that says "Do Not Feed The Sheep" Electric fencing though??
It depends on whether it is a cattle proof electric fence or a people proof electric fence. Even a cattle proof fence can kill as it fires off at about 3000V.

The former give a jolt every few seconds for a very short duration through string carrying a fine wire. Animals soon learn to stay away from it once they have had a belt or two, and once they have learned this, they will even avoid common or garden bailer twine that isn't electrified.

A people proof fence is constant high voltage.

As far as I know, high voltage people proof electric fences are illegal in England and Wales except on military or government establishments, but they are possibly not illegal in Scotland.
I found this out when working on a site near Glasgow. I was told that the fence would be turned on from early evening after the normal dayshift had finished, and if I needed to gain entry I must report to security so they could turn it off to let me in and out.
I was based in England where this wasn't allowed, so this came as a bit of a shock to me.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
It depends on whether it is a cattle proof electric fence or a people proof electric fence. Even a cattle proof fence can kill as it fires off at about 3000V.

The former give a jolt every few seconds for a very short duration through string carrying a fine wire. Animals soon learn to stay away from it once they have had a belt or two, and once they have learned this, they will even avoid common or garden bailer twine that isn't electrified.

A people proof fence is constant high voltage.

As far as I know, high voltage people proof electric fences are illegal in England and Wales except on military or government establishments, but they are possibly not illegal in Scotland.
I found this out when working on a site near Glasgow. I was told that the fence would be turned on from early evening after the normal dayshift had finished, and if I needed to gain entry I must report to security so they could turn it off to let me in and out.
I was based in England where this wasn't allowed, so this came as a bit of a shock to me.
That's interesting, Fruitcake...I didn't touch this one to find out how high a voltage it was though
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
She didn't notice the traffic behind her garden fence.
They viewed the home seven times before deciding to buy, but Mrs McCormack says each visit was early on a Saturday morning before the busy A446 had 'woken up'.

Estate agents usually advise going to a view at different times and days.

Mrs McCormack, who works as a disability charity advocate, says she does not blame the estate agent, but if the viewings had been at 2pm 'we wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole'.

Nothing to stop her visiting the area to check out any problems, especially if she is not local. 'A' roads are busy.

They initially put in an offer on a four-bedroom new build on the same estate priced at £375,000, but changed their mind when a three-bed came up for £25,000 less.

That should have rung alarm bells.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top