Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:05 PM

Don’t We Respect The Dead Anymore?

With all the complaints from people because their Soaps and other programmes were cancelled on Friday because Prince Philip had died, reminded me of years ago when someone died.

In those days, curtains in the house were drawn as a mark of respect to the person who had died.
Black ties, or black armbands were worn.
Men took off their caps or hats when a coffin in a hearse passed them in the street.
These days, it seems when someone has died it is an inconvenience to some.
Wait ‘til the Queen dies, they’ve seen nothing yet.

Can you remember anything we used to do in respect for a person who had died and for the bereaved?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:13 PM

Re: Don’t We Respect The Dead Anymore?

I can remember curtains being drawn, men doffing their hats as a hearse drove past, people crossing themselves, etc. I still have a black tie hanging in my wardrobe ready for use when necessary.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:19 PM

I remember black wreaths being hung on doorways.

It is still considered common courtesy to pull over while a hearse and the cars with their headlights on drive past on their way to the cemetery.

Some forms of respect are better to leave behind. I remember stories of family members being propped up in their coffins in the dining room while a wake went on around them, and after portraiture first became popular, I have seen photos of families surrounding their dead loved one.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I can remember curtains being drawn, men doffing their hats as a hearse drove past, people crossing themselves, etc. I still have a black tie hanging in my wardrobe ready for use when necessary.
Percy, l remember, as a schoolgirl when a hearse passed us in the street, we would hold our collar until we saw a dog.

Or, was it holding your collar, standing on one leg until you saw a three legged animal?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

13-04-2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I remember black wreaths being hung on doorways.

It is still considered common courtesy to pull over while a hearse and the cars with their headlights on drive past on their way to the cemetery.

Some forms of respect are better to leave behind. I remember stories of family members being propped up in their coffins in the dining room while a wake went on around them, and after portraiture first became popular, I have seen photos of families surrounding their dead loved one.
Surfermom, Don't they have to kiss the dead person in the open coffin too?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:23 PM

What's to respect? When someone's dead they're dead. Seriously.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

13-04-2021, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What's to respect? When someone's dead they're dead. Seriously.

...... moving swiftly on.....
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:25 PM

It is fine to remember people as they were in life, but a corpse is merely a waste product to be disposed of once any useful bits have been removed.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Surfermom, Don't they have to kiss the dead person in the open coffin too?
I have no, Art.

I also forgot to mention - the parade of casseroles taken to the home of the deceased . That always seemed kind but strange to me; the last thing I want to do is it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

13-04-2021, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
It is fine to remember people as they were in life, but a corpse is merely a waste product to be disposed of once any useful bits have been removed.
RJG, Then it must be of great comfort to the bereaved that the person’s organs are living on in another person, who might have died otherwise.

I wonder if royalty donate their organs?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top