Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:35 PM

Re: Don’t We Respect The Dead Anymore?

My husband and I have no wish to have any flowers when we kick the bucket. A donation to charity is a much better idea, imo.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
With all the complaints from people because their Soaps and other programmes were cancelled on Friday because Prince Philip had died, reminded me of years ago when someone died.

In those days, curtains in the house were drawn as a mark of respect to the person who had died.
Black ties, or black armbands were worn.
Men took off their caps or hats when a coffin in a hearse passed them in the street.
IIRC, that was in the days of black and white, when posh men wore wing collars, suits and bowler hats while the workers wore cloth caps, rags and clogs …..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I have no, Art.

I also forgot to mention - the parade of casseroles taken to the home of the deceased . That always seemed kind but strange to me; the last thing I want to do is it.
Surfermom, You mean.. take a stew to the home of the deceased?
As you say, kind but strange!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IIRC, that was in the days of black and white, when posh men wore wing collars, suits and bowler hats while the workers wore cloth caps, rags and clogs …..
It’s good that we’ve moved on since then.

Omah, Which would you have been? A bowler or a clogs man?

Top hat, l’d say!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It’s good that we’ve moved on since then.

Omah, Which would you have been? A bowler or a clogs man?

Top hat, l’d say!
I was only a "nipper" in those days so I'd have been given a armband to wear. Footwear, in my case, was sensible shoes perfectly fitted for the growing younger foot by using a shoe-fitting fluoroscope, which was an X-ray machine later banned from shops because of the cancer risk:

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 04:31 PM

I remember all the things that have been mentioned, when my first taste of death came I was ten, I felt such a change in the house, grandad lay in the study he had always used and lots of people were coming to the house throughout day and speaking in whispers. Mum took me in to see him, I was terrified and shaking, everything was strange and I didn't like one bit.
As for the complaints about the BBC, I understand that, I expected either BBC1 or 2 would be all day and night, but every channel? There was no need for that at all. IMO.
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 04:39 PM

I have never seen the dead bodies of anyone of my relatives, including my parents, I had no interest in seeing them as corpses.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I have never seen the dead bodies of anyone of my relatives, including my parents, I had no interest in seeing them as corpses.
Grandad's was the only one I've ever seen, the experience has stayed with me all my life..........Shudder. I didn't want to see Grandad either but I was made to so were my sisters.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 04:43 PM

When the last King died in 1952 the only thing on the radio that day was solemn music and nothing else.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 05:04 PM

My Daughter & I were there with him when my husband died. He looked so peaceful. He died in hospital & then he was certified as dead by a doctor & taken to the mortuary. We saw nothing of that as we were in the waiting room & a nurse came in & said we should go home.
We had spent almost all of 10 days at the hospital before he died, it was a terrible time, 5 years ago now.
No way would I have wanted him home & mourners coming to the house.
I think this way is better.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top