Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 05:09 PM

Re: Don’t We Respect The Dead Anymore?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Percy, l remember, as a schoolgirl when a hearse passed us in the street, we would hold our collar until we saw a dog.

Or, was it holding your collar, standing on one leg until you saw a three legged animal?

We used to say a little rhyme:

Touch my collar
Touch my toes
And I hope I never have to go in one of those.

Years ago, didn't someone in the family (usually a woman I believe), used to have the body at their house and 'dress' it herself?
That may also be why curtains were kept drawn so's people didn't gawp through the window.

Maybe some families couldn't afford undertakers years ago.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 05:13 PM

Surfermom, You mean.. take a stew to the home of the deceased?
As you say, kind but strange!

That kinda makes sense to me.
Perhaps neighbours think the widow/widower might not feel like cooking a dinner for themself, so take a nice hot meal in for them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I have no, Art.

I also forgot to mention - the parade of casseroles taken to the home of the deceased . That always seemed kind but strange to me; the last thing I want to do is it.
Originally Posted by Mups ->
Perhaps neighbours think the widow/widower might not feel like cooking a dinner for themself, so take a nice hot meal in for them.
I've never encountered the custom either but, apparently, it's not unusual:

https://www.funeralguide.co.uk/help-.../funeral-foods

What funeral food can I take to a wake?

Sometimes it may be appropriate to take food to a wake, particularly if it is held at home, is a potluck meal or to a celebration of life gathering.

It might be a good idea to bring foods that could freeze well or could stay a day or two in the fridge to be used as leftovers - pasta bakes, casseroles, pies and stews are always effective options.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 08:00 PM

Ha, yes, Art sometimes a stew!

Oh, I fully agree that meant to be kind, Mups. I have done likewise. I think the gesture is even better when offered a few weeks after a death It speaks of understanding that grief is ongoing and that after that amount of time that you are still thinking about everyone involved.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 08:30 PM

We used to say a little rhyme:

Touch my collar
Touch my toes
And I hope I never have to go in one of those.

Years ago, didn't someone in the family (usually a woman I believe), used to have the body at their house and 'dress' it herself?
That may also be why curtains were kept drawn so's people didn't gawp through the window.

Maybe some families couldn't afford undertakers years ago.

It is still tradition with some Eastenders to have the body in the house for people to pay their respects before the body is taken away for burial or cremation. I'm not over keen on the idea but I have seen a few over the years because the family expects you to do so. My over all memory is that that they all look so much shorter than they did when they were alive.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It is still tradition with some Eastenders to have the body in the house for people to pay their respects before the body is taken away for burial or cremation. I'm not over keen on the idea but I have seen a few over the years because the family expects you to do so. My over all memory is that that they all look so much shorter than they did when they were alive.
Is that STILL a custom in today's East End?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 08:38 PM

I must admit, I tend to stop what I am doing if a funeral procession goes past. Just sort of bow my head a little bit. I rarely wear a hat but would take it off if necessary. I know it means nothing to the dead person but I think it means something to the immediate family in the cars. It's a little bit comforting to know that a complete stranger has sympathy for the situation.

On the other hand, there are those drivers who don't give a toss and cut in between the procession. This has happened a couple of times when in a funeral car. The last funeral I attended (my Mum's) the three main cars did this sort of staggered thing the whole way, which prevented anyone from cutting in between us. Not an easy thing to do in London. I was very impressed.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 04:07 PM

Percy, l remember, as a schoolgirl when a hearse passed us in the street, we would hold our collar until we saw a dog.

Or, was it holding your collar, standing on one leg until you saw a three legged animal?
It was ambulances, not hearses, where I was at school
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 04:10 PM

The problem is that Christianity is a death cult and there are just not that many Christians left to do their bit in the face of it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
My husband and I have no wish to have any flowers when we kick the bucket. A donation to charity is a much better idea, imo.
Damn right. There'll be no flowers at our funerals either.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top