Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 01:24 PM

Re: Alcoholics to get liver transplants!

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Imagine the following scenario - a young man in his early twenties with lung cancer and requires a lung transplantation that is available - but then another 70 year old with chronic chest condition - emphysema which he will die from rapidly if a transplant is not available - one lung only available at present - who gets it and why?
One in most need (most likely to die soonest). Although I would like to think the 70 year old would think about taking themselves off the list to allow younger person to definitely get it.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 01:34 PM

I suppose there are all types of alcoholics. I think it is possible to be classed an alcoholic when that person isn't really aware they have a drink problem at all. Of course, at the other end of the scale, you have hopeless drunks, who are a complete waste of time, too far gone and are a liability to themselves and all around them. Obviously the greater the odds that person will change their ways the more likelihood they should get a transplant. One sort wants to live and the other has probably given up on that a long time ago - harbouring a death wish .

So yes alcoholics should receive transplants if it isn't going to be a total waste of time and money.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 01:42 PM

A close relative of mine is a hardened alcoholic - twice been in intensive care and still hasn't learned his lesson. He will never work again and doesn't want to. I think a liver transplant on him would be a complete waste of a liver that could be best used on somebody more deserving.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 01:50 PM

I'm just edging my bets for the future ...

So YES alcoholics should have transplants - def.

Oh ... and a brain transplant if that is shot as well.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
A close relative of mine is a hardened alcoholic - twice been in intensive care and still hasn't learned his lesson. He will never work again and doesn't want to. I think a liver transplant on him would be a complete waste of a liver that could be best used on somebody more deserving.
Yes my mum was like that the money the NHS wasted treating her for various problems could have been used for more deserving cases. Harsh I know but she drank to the end and never tried to help herself.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Imagine the following scenario - a young man in his early twenties with lung cancer and requires a lung transplantation that is available - but then another 70 year old with chronic chest condition - emphysema which he will die from rapidly if a transplant is not available - one lung only available at present - who gets it and why?
Easily answered. Once you're over 60 you are very unlikely to get a transplant anyway under Medicare so that situation is not going to arise. The 20 year old would get it.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 03:01 PM

The new scheme will consider people with severe alcohol associated hepatitis and will begin with a pilot scheme of around 20 people aged between 18 and 40.

To qualify, patients must be seeing a doctor for the first time with liver disease and being diagnosed with a drink problem for the first time.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 05:57 PM

The close relative that I mentioned earlier also went into rehab but discharged himself after just one week. He was obviously not determined to help himself.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 07:14 PM

In an ideal world maybe it would be ok but when I read stories of youngsters being denied life changing treatment because of the cost, then I think my support wavers.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

04-04-2014, 08:43 PM

Makes me think of old age in general - or 'death' in fact. Imagine a time when it would be possible to abuse your body any which way you want, suffer from whatever even but without too much concern - why? Well, there will come a time when docs will be able to keep you alive indefinitely. Why then do people reach a certain age now and want to depart from this world? Are they bored? Lonely? If you took away the loneliness' then would people want to live forever? Can't see it myself as there comes a time when people have had enough where nothing is new or stimulating. Whatever is out there after death might be preferable to a living death - if you see what I mean.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top