Join for free
Page 206 of 370 « First < 106 156 196 204 205 206 207 208 216 256 306 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 04:46 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Floydy, that's some walking speed! I would have been jogging at somewhere in the neighborhood of .68 kmh or .42 mph - short legs of mine and all . I am guilty of setting a speed and incline on the dreadmill and locking them in like they are missile coordinates. Really good job maintaining your aerobic work for 20 mins. which seems to be the threshold for heart benefits. Can you tell any difference yet in your strength, endurance, weight, or measurements yet? If not, you will!

OGF, I am with you. The running is definitely not getting easier and when I think about my pace times five to ten years ago, it's a little mystifying. Unlike you who bravely checked your watch along today's outing, I chickened out and left mine on the counter. Not very brave, I know, but I just wanted the satisfaction of finishing the blasted thing, without having to beat badly. Floydy is right; I was about as rusty as a 1940s coupe.

When I am out doing five, like I did today, huffing, puffing, and pouring with perspiration, I sometimes think about you doing eight at a time, which never ceases to amaze me. When you feel ready to throw bricks at the universe like you seemingly wanted to do today, you might think about looking at some of the current finish times for some of your peer groups. I would put a (never cannabis ) treat on it that you are out-pacing many of your peers' winning times. Although you are ultimately racing against you - you aren't racing against 50 or even 60 year old you anymore.

To Tachyon and LQ, I am reading your posts with interest. I have to say Tachyon, that I am among you who think that the current BMI calculators are ineffective for people who exercise. Grabbing a little something here...a little less there...or trying on my favorite jeans gives me a much better picture . There are times when I have weighed more than I do now, and had less body fat.

Oh, and don't even try to talk to me about getting caliper measurements from darling, fit twenty-something while watching what happens when calipers meet aging skin . It's not good.

Perhaps the answer is to toss out everything that measures anything ...

But I am just too competitive - with myself.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 02:39 PM

Mini-milestone today at the 'little gym' when I clocked up three hours of constant work and I finally went for broke and did 1,000 crunches on the stomach/back machine. I did them in sets of 100 though, as I didn't want my poor torso to explode! In between sets I did arm and leg work, and the leg exercises went much better than normal. Last night my right knee gave a hell of a crack, out of the blue, and has felt much "looser" than it has done in many months. It's not as good as normal but it's very close and has made walking a lot easier today. Long may it continue!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, can you tell any difference yet in your strength, endurance, weight, or measurements yet? If not, you will!
It's very early days yet, Suzie, but the weight will come down I'm sure very soon. I have lost 3-4 lbs within a couple of weeks, so we're heading in the right direction.
I have changed my diet too for the better, which is even more of a bonus. Yes, I can see myself heading more towards the cardio side of things now that I know it's not affecting my knees at all. So a mixture of lighter weights, a good diet and 45 minutes cardio a week is hitting the spot nicely and I'm happy with that

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Mini-milestone today at the 'little gym' when I clocked up three hours of constant work and I finally went for broke and did 1,000 crunches on the stomach/back machine. I did them in sets of 100 though, as I didn't want my poor torso to explode! In between sets I did arm and leg work, and the leg exercises went much better than normal. Last night my right knee gave a hell of a crack, out of the blue, and has felt much "looser" than it has done in many months. It's not as good as normal but it's very close and has made walking a lot easier today. Long may it continue!
Mate, you are MAD. Just crazybonkersstylee. 1,000 ab crunches would tear my insides out. I just don't know how you do it. But if it's working for you, go for it and as long you are doing those lower back exercises to offset all the forward bending, keep it up buddy. Phew!
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
... as long you are doing those lower back exercises to offset all the forward bending, keep it up buddy. Phew!
Aye, the back is done as well. It's like a rocking motion, maintaining pressure in each direction. Certainly good for me.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 11:01 PM

That's not a mini-mileston, Tachyon, that's a huge one! I haven't done that many crunches in ages and really applaud your results. After three hours of working out, they would have to take me out on a stretcher. Excellent!

Floydy, that is about what I expected in terms of results. You are well on your way now that you are in a groove. It always takes me about six weeks to see any visible improvement, and i join you in trying to get in even better shape. With a cruise at the end of the year, I am joining you in getting into tip-top condition well before the sailing date.My goals are to lose a couple inches which always works better for me than stepping on the scales.

The oak trails were the scene of the crime today, and crime is not an overstatement given the fact that I felt like lead and my time was only so-so. What worked well today was that the sun was behind my back for half the run, which enabled me to focus purely on form. I tend to over-pronate and pull my shoulders up ever so slightly, so my shadowy (and nagging) teacher once again reminded me for the last 2.5 miles what it felt like to be in perfect form.

Isn't this just great weather to be out pushing our bodies!

Time for tea and to start turning all these leafy green things into something that looks akin to a salad...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 04:06 AM

With a cruise at the end of the year, I am joining you in getting into tip-top condition well before the sailing date.My goals are to lose a couple inches which always works better for me than stepping on the scales.

The oak trails were the scene of the crime today, and crime is not an overstatement given the fact that I felt like lead and my time was only so-so. What worked well today was that the sun was behind my back for half the run, which enabled me to focus purely on form. I tend to over-pronate and pull my shoulders up ever so slightly, so my shadowy (and nagging) teacher once again reminded me for the last 2.5 miles what it felt like to be in perfect form.
Didn't I mention yesterday that your first run out feeling rather groggy was just a blip, Suzie? Right as rain (or Florida sunshine to be exact) you've had a night's good rest and put in a much better performance today. I'm certain you'll be looking fabulous for your forthcoming cruise. Lovely work
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-10-2018, 04:16 AM

Floydy, that is about what I expected in terms of results. You are well on your way now that you are in a groove. It always takes me about six weeks to see any visible improvement, and i join you in trying to get in even better shape.
Just as an add-on, Suzie - and I hope you didn't mind me splitting up your post to quote in two halves - it's just a couple of weeks into my cardio (and only once a week at that so far), but I'm already feeling so much more energetic, especially at work. A lot has to do with some diet changes too, wherby I'm choosing my shopping carefully and cautiously cutting out most of the harmful sugar/fat/salt content which are noted as RDA guidelines on all packaging here in the UK. I don't know if that's an international requirement yet?

Yes I've got the bug for cardio and although I'm keeping the weights going to retain some kind of form and muscle, I'm aiming to lose weight and generally keep myself in as good a conditional shape as any 54-y.o. can be who lives a lifestyle like myself working nights.

I have also said a goodbye yesterday to my sole remaining bodybuilding forum I participated on for many years. I simply am not in that frame anymore and partly not wanting that style of training to interfere with my new-found fitness schedule, I also don't fit in very well with the other guys who are pounding the heavy weights going all "bro" and "hench" and "swole" lol. I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt etc etc blah-de-blah and they understand my reasons for leaving the forum. I'll still pop in from time to time for a chat but as for holding a training journal, that is over for me now.

So with a light weights session coming up today, I bid you farewell until later on.
Tachyon

23-10-2018, 12:37 PM

That's not a mini-mileston, Tachyon, that's a huge one! I haven't done that many crunches in ages and really applaud your results. After three hours of working out, they would have to take me out on a stretcher. Excellent!
Thanks, that's very kind of you. I wish I could run like you, but my knees are not up to the job. It turns out my immune system is causing the arthritis in them, and they recently started me on a new medication to suppress my immune system. One of these days I WILL run though! Keep up the good work.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-10-2018, 02:57 PM

Tuesday 23/10/18: Light-moderate; 3 sets; 50 mins.

My early week light-moderate workout.
Selecting fewer exercises than I would normally, I upped the reps a touch to stabilise my training with some of the sets hitting the ‘failure’ point (that is, doing as many reps as I was able, then pausing with the weight and pushing out a couple more which really hits the muscles hard). As I missed out my Sunday legs session in favour of cardio and with yesterday being unavailable for training, just a couple of brief leg exercises too.

DB bench press:
15x26’s, 10x28’s, 7x30

Seated row:
27x41, 18x47, 14x53
*Surprised at my back strength with this exercise today, those reps mounting up easily. I’ll be upping the poundage on this apparatus from next time.

Barbell curl, seated, 60° bench:
16x30, 12x30, 15x30

Tricep extensions:
30x40, 15x50, 12x60

E-Z bar preacher curl, close grip:
15x33, 15x38, 8x43

Sled leg press:
25x150, 25x150, 25x120

Seated ham curls:
20x40, 15x50, 8x60

Really pleased with this short session today. Heaven knows why but my strength has rocketed over the past week, not that I’m aiming to get any bigger these days. It’s just good to know that I can still do this kind of thing occasionally and retain the muscle too.

Next weights session planned for Thursday, then cardio at the weekend.

Thanks for reading.
Katemayor
New Member!
Canada
Katemayor is female 

24-10-2018, 10:39 AM

Hi,

My daily exercise is running and yoga. These are the best and makes your day.
Thanks.

Page 206 of 370 « First < 106 156 196 204 205 206 207 208 216 256 306 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top