Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2015, 10:00 AM

Re: Does anyone have a HP .......

I have an acer aspire/v5 and run 8.1. I charge my battery as I am using the computer. When fully charged I just run on battery until computer says that it is low. I had poor battery life but found that my screen was on full power. After reducing the screen power the battery life has extended. I use a balanced battery plan. I like windows 8.1 but did prefer vista.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2015, 04:45 PM

I have a HP Pavilion laptop and have had no problem with it. As an experiment I took it out with me today. Not using it after 6hrs battery was still 100%. Using it for 2hrs battery is 75%, 3hrs left. I'm using 8.1
kismet
southsea uk
kismet is female  kismet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 12:21 AM

well eventually managed to get into not the nomal safe mode but I experimented with other f plus and it worked. it allowed me to get it completely cleared and reinstal so now its up and running and it appears to be fine. time will tell, when I start getting photos and music back on. so far all seams well
l
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 09:22 AM

My computer is HP and I am on Windows 7 and I have only just started to have problems with freezing but that is probably because my computer is 6 years old.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by kismet ->
it had put my firewall back on plus another 75 updates spent ages got 6 off stoped me doing anymore,
Ok, if these are Windows updates you are talking about then you're not going to get anywhere. When you system falls so far behind on Windows Updates (e.g. when you do a complete re-install) then you have to run those updates through bit by bit. I would say no more than 10 small ones at a time, and any large ones do one by one. It's a painstaking exercise. Never try and just select all the Windows Updates that it suggests/lists.

As a temporary measure, disable updates.
Control Panel - Windows Updates - Change Settings
Choose "Never update"

Then you have the space to sort things without Windows hunting for updates.

Obv re-enable it later on if you want further updates.
kismet
southsea uk
kismet is female  kismet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Ok, if these are Windows updates you are talking about then you're not going to get anywhere. When you system falls so far behind on Windows Updates (e.g. when you do a complete re-install) then you have to run those updates through bit by bit. I would say no more than 10 small ones at a time, and any large ones do one by one. It's a painstaking exercise. Never try and just select all the Windows Updates that it suggests/lists.

As a temporary measure, disable updates.
Control Panel - Windows Updates - Change Settings
Choose "Never update"

Then you have the space to sort things without Windows hunting for updates.

Obv re-enable it later on if you want further updates.
yes I have done that re the updates but its a completely new pc now and everthing seems to work. I didnt even have basics working before. hzvent even put a email account on yet and just using default browxer which works fine. new registrztion znd everything, so highlg delighted got there in end. id done my friends sometime ago thzt was sindows 7 much easier could get int bios registry safe mode was easier. so why is the windows 8.1 such a pain, all so different and actually ruined thd co puters settings as well. I belivd Windows 10 is to be similair to 7
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by kismet ->
so why is the windows 8.1 such a pain
This depends on your beliefs and level of awareness and conspiratorial bent.

I've worked in IT for years and gone from Dos, to Windows 3.1, to Win 95, XP, and all the way to Windows 7.

I ask myself what exactly has any of these successive releases of windows provided for me? And I come up dry.
It's just an operating system in which I run software apps.

What Microsoft does (and other large software providers) is simply tweak things around, make them look and feel different and in the process hide away lots of settings and security measures that were previously readily visible.

They don't want people blocking advertising and being security savvy imo. All these big companies are in league with each other. Microsoft, Google, the anti-virus companies, broadband providers and so on. Microsoft releases versions of Windows full of gaps, holes and bugs that can be exploited. That allows viruses to be created and be a viable threat and that creates the market for anti-virus companies. It's a protection racket any way you cut it.

When broadband was in its infancy and many of us were still using 56K modems to surf the Net, Microsoft helped the broadband movement by releasing a crap new version of Windows, full of bugs and exploitable holes and then provided the solution to it all called "Service Pack 2".

This SP2 was so humongous in size that it was impossible to download it from the Net using an old 56K modem. So people were pretty much forced to buy into broadband and sign up to monthly subscriptions so they could get SP2 and be safe. The strategy worked quite well and now we all have broadband.

Today, Windows and software developers all work together. MS creates a new version of Windows and "magically" all the software apps out there are unable to operate on that new operating system (MS make sure of that). So the developers then develop a new version of their software (say Photoshop) and now everyone is on a ticking timebomb schedule to pay for a new version or face their existing version becoming unsupported.

It's all a neat scam imo.

Generally I don't upgrade software ever. I work with what I have for as long as is humanly possible. As a result I get stability and no hassle. I have Windows 7 because it came with my laptop. No intention of going to Win 8. It won't provide anything useful for me.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 11:53 PM

Realist:

Keep it short bro - eh 'boring' - and I work on computers!

OK - may as well make it plain: can't be arsed to read it all.

Dun.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 10:18 AM

In the light of day I would have liked to edit the above as it is downright rude.

Oops - once again.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 10:32 AM

haha, makes one wonder what makes a talker call himself a realist.
Yeah, I agree, the Readers Digest version please.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top