Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2016, 07:43 AM

The Durrells.

Is anyone else watching this gentle drama ? It makes a pleasant change from unfathomable murder dramas.
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Re: The Durrells.

Yes I watch it as well, its so relaxing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2016, 09:56 AM

Yes, I am quite enjoying it now although it did take a couple of episodes to get used to the characters. I know I wouldn't put up with that lot.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 09:21 AM

I enjoyed last night's episode now that we are getting to know the characters a bit more. Leslie is particularly funny with his penchant for guns and his bungled love life.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 06:14 PM

Yes i'm enjoying it, I was a bit confused at first with the Characters, but got used to them now. The kids are very lazy. Do you think the Mother will end up having a romance with the Prisioner?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 06:28 PM

I have no idea what will happen but I did wonder if it was based, to a small degree, on Gerald Durrell who spent his life looking for animals and opened a zoo in Jersey, before he died. His family lived in Cyprus before the Turkish invasion, so I thought that the young Gerry character could be based on him.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I have no idea what will happen but I did wonder if it was based, to a small degree, on Gerald Durrell who spent his life looking for animals and opened a zoo in Jersey, before he died. His family lived in Cyprus before the Turkish invasion, so I thought that the young Gerry character could be based on him.
Yes if course, Twink! The serial is based on the story of Gerald Durrell's childhood on Corfu.
He's the youngster in the series.
The book My Family and Other Animals is autobiographical.
The older brother Lawrence was a writer, a novelist, playright travel writer... the Alexandria Quartet.
But this series seems to be concentrating more on their mother....she was bold and brave!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Yes if course, Twink! The serial is based on the story of Gerald Durrell's childhood on Corfu.
He's the youngster in the series.
The book My Family and Other Animals is autobiographical.
The older brother Lawrence was a writer, a novelist, playright travel writer... the Alexandria Quartet.
But this series seems to be concentrating more on their mother....she was bold and brave!!
Thanks Ruthio, I only remembered the story of his early years from when they were in Cyprus, but I loved his books. It must be 30 years since I read the book.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks Ruthio, I only remembered the story of his early years from when they were in Cyprus, but I loved his books. It must be 30 years since I read the book.
Me too! We've got half a dozen of the books in my daughter's old room, must find them and read them again!!
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 08:27 PM

i'm enjoying this series and i love the way Gerard keeps collecting all these animals
I have visited the zoo in Jersey so feel affiliated to this series somehow

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top