Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Dextrous63
Senior Member
Dextrous63 is offline
Manchester, UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,579
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 02:13 PM
1

Solution to many things

Not sure if I've mentioned on here or not, but it strikes me that if all new cars were fitted with GPS enabled controls which prevented a car from travelling at a higher than the speed designated for any particular road, then there'd be no more speeding tickets.

Indeed, such a device would reduce the number of stolen cars as they's be easily tracked, and joy riding would decline too. There are already devices which can be fitted to cars which provide the ability to disable the engine via a suitable app.

It remains a mystery why such systems are not rolled out.

Insurance claims would also fall which would lead to at least a reduction in the rate of increase of premiums. It would also mean that young, new drivers, wouldn't have to penalised so heavily for their lack of experience and tendency to speed since this would not longer be an option.
Reply With Quote
Roxy's Avatar
Roxy
Senior Member
Roxy is offline
Caithness.
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,616
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 02:17 PM
2

Re: Solution to many things

A good solution but it would reduce the amount of money in fines for the Councils ect. AND, that would never do......Would it. I bet that's why it's not used.
Reply With Quote
marmaduke
Senior Member
marmaduke is offline
uk ( Cheshire)
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,622
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 02:18 PM
3

Re: Solution to many things

Thus plunging the country into poverty since the cash cow , typo, I mean motorists speeding tax would be missed
Reply With Quote
Rhian's Avatar
Rhian
Chatterbox
Rhian is offline
North Wales
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 9,011
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 02:20 PM
4

Re: Solution to many things

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
A good solution but it would reduce the amount of money in fines for the Councils ect. AND, that would never do......Would it. I bet that's why it's not used.
Yes and the police, as well as the robbing insurance companies..
Reply With Quote
marmaduke
Senior Member
marmaduke is offline
uk ( Cheshire)
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,622
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 02:30 PM
5

Re: Solution to many things

There is of course always another option ... make everyone pass an advanced driving course within two years of passing test ... failure to do so would mean returning to learning again ... if we are all advanced drivers then let’s up the motorway limits etc instead of driving to the least able limits all the time
Reply With Quote
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Julie1962 is offline
Surrey
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 42,390
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 02:52 PM
6

Re: Solution to many things

While I agree with limiting effectively the speed of cars personally I would say limit it mechanically to national speed limit, then you would still get the revenue from speeding but you would prevent the massive speeding problems on some roads where people are travelling at upward of 100 mile and hour.
Reply With Quote
Judd's Avatar
Judd
Chatterbox
Judd is offline
West Riding of Yorkshire
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 7,930
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 03:01 PM
7

Re: Solution to many things

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
While I agree with limiting effectively the speed of cars personally I would say limit it mechanically to national speed limit, then you would still get the revenue from speeding but you would prevent the massive speeding problems on some roads where people are travelling at upward of 100 mile and hour.
Some vehicles, especially company ones, are speed restricted and can't travel beyond a certain speed. The problem isn't so much the speed of vehicles on motorways, it's the constant lane changes and nipping in and out of traffic with drivers not checking their mirrors first. Maintain a safe distance from the car in front and some idiot will fill the space for you. Lane hoggers are another major problem.
Reply With Quote
Dextrous63
Senior Member
Dextrous63 is offline
Manchester, UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,579
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 03:32 PM
8

Re: Solution to many things

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Some vehicles, especially company ones, are speed restricted and can't travel beyond a certain speed. The problem isn't so much the speed of vehicles on motorways, it's the constant lane changes and nipping in and out of traffic with drivers not checking their mirrors first. Maintain a safe distance from the car in front and some idiot will fill the space for you. Lane hoggers are another major problem.
Will self drive cars become a solution to this?
Reply With Quote
Dextrous63
Senior Member
Dextrous63 is offline
Manchester, UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,579
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 03:34 PM
9

Re: Solution to many things

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
There is of course always another option ... make everyone pass an advanced driving course within two years of passing test ... failure to do so would mean returning to learning again ... if we are all advanced drivers then letís up the motorway limits etc instead of driving to the least able limits all the time
Good point. My daughter is soon to take her driving test and she'll take a further set of lessons ("Pass Plus" I think it's called) which should help her skill set and possibly reduce insurance.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 27,955
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-01-2019, 03:35 PM
10

Re: Solution to many things

I'm not sure I agree with automatically reducing the speed of vehicles. Sometimes the best way out of an accident is acceleration not braking.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.