Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:04 PM

Re: Getting new dog. need advice

You’re most welcome.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

16-09-2018, 04:20 PM

Hi Bakerman, we only ever have rescue dogs, I reckon you will get the feel to whether the dog is right for you after a couple of visits.

Our current pooch is a real handful but we love her to bits and slowly getting over probably all the problems listed in first couple of posts.

But we are patient and love her to bits and as they say a dog is for life not just for Xmas.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Bakerman best of luck getting your dog. You have all the best advice on this thread. Being the silly poster, I have to ask - What if the dog only understands Spanish????
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Bakerman best of luck getting your dog. You have all the best advice on this thread. Being the silly poster, I have to ask - What if the dog only understands Spanish????

You can laugh, but that can happen!

My friend has an imported dog and it didn't have a clue what my friend was asking of it at first.

It took patience and retraining to English words.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:44 PM

There is a guy, Cesar Millan, who is an expert with dogs. Some people call him "dog whisperer". Cesar, has a TV show that demonstrates how to deal with problems. Cesar often says, " I am here to help the dog, and to train the people".

One of Cesar's main ideas is that the dog needs a pack leader (YOU) , not him. He says, when a dog pulls on the leash or is 1st out the door, he thinks HE is the pack leader. Cesar believes that YOU, and only YOU should be the pack leader. He says it makes for a calm animal.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
There is a guy, Cesar Millan, who is an expert with dogs. Some people call him "dog whisperer". Cesar, has a TV show that demonstrates how to deal with problems. Cesar often says, " I am here to help the dog, and to train the people".

One of Cesar's main ideas is that the dog needs a pack leader (YOU) , not him. He says, when a dog pulls on the leash or is 1st out the door, he thinks HE is the pack leader. Cesar believes that YOU, and only YOU should be the pack leader. He says it makes for a calm animal.

I don't think that man is very popular with a lot of doggy people over here Bakerman.
I certainly can't stand the bloke and his sometimes brutal, out dated methods of training.

I want a dog that is happy and willing to do things for me, not one that is afraid not to!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 05:40 PM

In October, I'm going to the Mexican dog pound and I'm going to look for a dog. BUT, I do not know how to tell the age. Is there some easy general way to know ? I would not want to get a dog that I thought was 2 years old and have it turn out to be 12 years old.
Ask a vet.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You can laugh, but that can happen!

My friend has an imported dog and it didn't have a clue what my friend was asking of it at first.

It took patience and retraining to English words.
In truth, I did think that Mupsy.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't think that man is very popular with a lot of doggy people over here Bakerman.
I certainly can't stand the bloke and his sometimes brutal, out dated methods of training.

I want a dog that is happy and willing to do things for me, not one that is afraid not to!

Brutal ? We must be thinking of different people. Cesar Millan is the gentlest guy I know of. I never once ever saw him lift a finger against a dog. Not once.

We have one heck of a lot of ASPCA people over here and , believe me, if they thought for one second he was being brutal, they'd hang him.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-09-2018, 12:04 AM

Brutal ? We must be thinking of different people. Cesar Millan is the gentlest guy I know of. I never once ever saw him lift a finger against a dog. Not once.

We have one heck of a lot of ASPCA people over here and , believe me, if they thought for one second he was being brutal, they'd hang him.

'Gentlest guy you know of' ey? Gosh you must know some brutes then!

Might be an idea to do your research on this man, see what you come up with.

This is just a miniscule example of write-ups about his methods, and it's is an American one too.

All the info is out there is you care to delve a little.

"In 2006, the American Humane Society lobbed one of the first grenades, asking producers to cancel Millan’s TV show, calling some of his training methods “inhumane” and “cruel and dangerous.”

The society said it was especially disturbed by the way Millan subdued dogs with shock collars, by pinning them to the ground or by tightening their collars.

Millan defends his methods, saying he uses “minimum force” to correct behaviors in aggressive pets, and adding, “My way is not the only way.”

Here is more:

The Rise and Fall of Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer

You might have heard about all the controversy. Where exactly did things go wrong for Cesar Millan, TV’s onetime top dog guru?

January 16, 2012Dave Baker
Why do people hate Cesar Millan so much?
Cesar Millan’s critics have piled on. By: adri021/Flickr

Few dog trainers have received as much attention as Cesar Millan, known to most as “The Dog Whisperer.”

What started in 2004 as a back-channel cable TV show led to millions of books and videos, a monthly magazine, a website and a foundation.

These days, however, Millan’s methods are hotly debated. Even some veterinary behaviorists don’t like The Dog Whisperer.

And the furor isn’t just online. A protest took place on January 15, 2012, for example, at a theater in Rochester, New York, where Millan gave a talk. “There has been so much attention to this that other cities … are doing the same,” says Ada Simms, Rochester protest organizer.

“Protests are being organized in Columbus and Akron, Ohio, where Cesar is performing,” Simms says. “There have been inquiries from as far away as Europe, where Cesar will be on tour after his U.S. tour ends.”

So what happened? Where did things go wrong for TV’s top dog guru?
How the Juggernaut Began

Millan is a self-taught expert. His real-world learning began when he was a kid in Mexico and was known as “the dog boy” because he had a natural touch.

Later, in the United States, he worked with aggressive dogs as part of a grooming business. He then created a canine academy, which attracted high-profile clients.

The TV series Dog Whisperer With Cesar Millan premiered in 2004 on the National Geographic Channel and was a runaway success. The bestselling book Cesar’s Way quickly followed.

Don’t Miss: Cesar Millan Slapped With Lawsuit After Dog Attacks Woman

Millan’s training philosophy in a nutshell is this: Your dog needs strong “pack leadership” from you (the true “alpha dog”) in order to be healthy and balanced. It’s called dominance theory.

The longer version: He says to handle your dog with “calm-assertive energy,” giving him plenty of exercise, clear boundaries and rules, and lots of affection when the time is right. Your dog is a dog, not a human, and is to be treated like one, Millan says. On the TV show, Millan seems to think you need to put your dog in its place when the dog is aggressive, using force — finger jabs to the abdomen, “alpha rolls,” even choke collars — if required.

Here’s an interesting Wall Street Journal video interview with Millan:

Critics Begin Speaking Up

In 2006, the American Humane Society lobbed one of the first grenades, asking producers to cancel Millan’s TV show, calling some of his training methods “inhumane” and “cruel and dangerous.”

The society said it was especially disturbed by the way Millan subdued dogs with shock collars, by pinning them to the ground or by tightening their collars.

Millan defends his methods, saying he uses “minimum force” to correct behaviors in aggressive pets, and adding, “My way is not the only way.”

Don’t Miss: School in an Uproar After “Dog Whisperer” Gets Honorary Degree

The American Humane Society later made nice with Millan, saying that despite “sharp differences,” the group shares many “areas of mutual interest” with the celeb trainer.
“Laughable” and “Outdated”?

The criticisms didn’t stop, because plenty of others picked up where the American Humane Society left off.

A fall 2006 New York Times piece headlined “Pack of Lies” lambasted Millan’s methods as “laughable” and “outdated.” The writer concluded:

“Mr. Millan’s quick fix might make for good television…. But it flies in the face of what professional animal behaviorists…have learned.”

Two years later, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior issued a policy statement on dominance theory, which didn’t mention Millan by name, but denounced his methods, saying they lead to “an antagonistic relationship between owners and their pets.”

There is so much information out there Bakerman, believe me, it is not just my own view by a long chalk.

Some will swear by him though - others loathe him.

I'll leave it at that. It is your choice after all. We all see things differently. Good luck.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top