Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 06:29 PM

The Undateables - Channel 4

There is some controversy brewing about this new programme on Channel 4. From what has been advertised so far what do folks think ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Re: The Undateables - Channel 4

To be honest Rena, I haven't seen or heard anything about the programme but I'll be very interested to read member's views about it...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 10:35 PM

I haven't heard of it Rena but will keep an eye out for it
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 12:10 AM

Am looking forward to it.. Some interesting conditions are getting covered. Its the sort of program that fascinates me.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 09:59 AM

I saw a short preview and it looked like a bit of a freak show to me. I doubt I will watch it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
I saw a short preview and it looked like a bit of a freak show to me. I doubt I will watch it.
Ditto Val, this type of thing is becoming much more common and is just a form of voyerism, and demeaning to the participants..
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Ditto Val, this type of thing is becoming much more common and is just a form of voyerism, and demeaning to the participants..
Sadly, you are probably correct and the raison d'etre of the series is just for that purpose.
On the other hand if handled correctly it could do an immense amount to help a lot of people understand a bit more about tolerance and more importantly of others needs.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Sadly, you are probably correct and the raison d'etre of the series is just for that purpose.
On the other hand if handled correctly it could do an immense amount to help a lot of people understand a bit more about tolerance and more importantly of others needs.
I doubt it will Hammer - if he title of the programme is anything to go by. Like Barry, I also think it a little voyeuristic and also intrusive. A lot of programmes seem to be going this way and although I know the people in the programme are consenting and willing participants, I have this uneasy feeling that they are being exploited. In this supposedly enlightened day and age why do a lot of people still seem entertained by other people's disabilities?
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Thats a sad point of view I most certainly wont be watching for entertainment. I doubt that the people who the show is about had guns held to their heads too.. I expect they appreciate someone touching on their problems for a change and not just labelling them as disabled.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 02:13 PM

The people may be willing but are they being paid a fee. If so this may have been the carrot dangled to encourage them to contribute. Anyway it has no appeal to me thats for sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top