Join for free
Page 425 of 549 « First < 325 375 415 423 424 425 426 427 435 475 525 > Last »
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:10 AM

Re: Pictures you love

View from Mt William
By Vinnie · · From Pic of the Week
Our 2 hour family hike was an amazing experience... We thought we were ready for the cold but even 3 or 4 layers isn't enough in below 0°C!
Published 8 hours ago. Pomonal VIC 3381
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:11 AM

Shut-down sanctuary
By nightscapades · · From Stargazing
Built in 1904, this former Uniting Church in Australia building was sold a couple of weeks before I visited it on Saturday, 7th July, to capture this shot of the Milky Way ruling over the area.
I’m not sure how long the church has been sitting in a state of disuse. The small fern growing out of the external water tank suggests that it may have been some time since the sound of singing, preaching and celebrating God was heard echoing from the timber walls and pressed-metal ceilings.
The building has some significance for my family as it featured as a backdrop for my niece’s wedding photos back in 2014.

A lone streetlight outside of the nearby Rous Mill Community Hall shone brightly on the eastern side of the church, and I used a couple of LED light banks to bring the building out of the shadows of the wonderfully dark night.
Jupiter was sliding down the western sky on its way towards setting for the night.
You can see it distinctly on the right-hand side of my photo.

Canon EOS 6D Mk II camera, Samyang 14mm XP lens @ f/2.8, 30-second exposure @ ISO 6400.

Published 8 hours ago. Skinners Shoot NSW 2481
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia

25-07-2018, 01:12 AM

Another shot from yesterday morning...
By brightmystic · · From Pic of the Week
Another shot from yesterday morning, this time from the top of Crystal Brook Falls. Just looks amazing after fresh snow.
Published 10 hours ago. Mount Buffalo VIC 3740
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia

26-07-2018, 12:02 AM

Views from the rainforest walk at Dubbil Barril
By wcwrtas · · From Pic of the Week
The trail then takes you down under the old wooden trestle bridge where there is more history to be found.
Image credit: @pyschonurse.
Published 6 minutes ago. Strahan TAS 7468
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia

26-07-2018, 12:02 AM

Fireside warmth on a snow-capped Hobart day
By tailoredtasmania · · From Pic of the Week
Perfect place for a hot drink
Published 9 minutes ago. Hobart TAS 7000
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia

26-07-2018, 12:04 AM

It was a bit on the chilly side
By snapshottours · · From Pic of the Week
Surrounded by snow, it was a real winter wonderland. With the sun out it wasn’t as cold as you would expect. It was about 1 degree, which meat it had warmed up a little when we got out of the car.
Looking forward to the day when I can come back to stay as a guest it there resort and enjoy the snow.
Published 14 minutes ago. Ben Lomond TAS 7212
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia

26-07-2018, 12:05 AM

Some drivers are so moooody...
By simply_irresistible · · From Pic of the Week
Some drivers are so moooody...
Published 20 minutes ago. Kameruka NSW 2550
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia

26-07-2018, 12:06 AM

The Newcastle café owner rewarding customers with a discount
By Anthony Scully · 2 min read · From Waste Warriors

It was last year’s War On Waste program that started the war on coffee cups for Newcastle café owner Petra McLoughlin.
“As someone who sells a lot of takeaway coffees, there’s definitely a guilt factor about the waste that we contribute,” Ms McLoughlin said.
It was estimated that Australian go through 1billion disposable coffee cups every year.
And it was a program segment that revealed even bio-degradable or compostable cups could not be recycled that made up Ms McLoughlin's mind.
“I thought ‘okay, well, what can we do?’”
She spoke to a customer about her idea to encourage customers to change their behaviour by offering them a discount of 50 cents to bring a reusable cup.
“He said ‘oh, let me make you a sign’, and he did, and so there was no going back from there,” she said.
What difference a year makes
In the year since the Newcastle business introduced the scheme, Ms McLoughlin said the impact has been “small but steadily growing”, with about 1 in every 10 customers bringing their own cups daily.
“I do think the discount is definitely a big factor for people, and that’s okay, you know,” she said.
“If that’s what makes people go green, then so be it.
Founder of Responsible Cafes organisation Justin Bonsey has written tips for cafes and coffee drinkers to take the next step in the war on disposable coffee cups.
His organisation’s website includes a map where it is claimed you can find 4,000 participating cafes, but a quick search reveals there are currently none listed in Newcastle and only one on the Central Coast.
He suggests:
• Start a conversation with your local cafe, or all your local cafes! Tell them about the issue, how they can be part of the solution and to register as a Responsible Café
• Tell your council to join the program and to roll it out to all local cafes
• Chat with cafes close to where you work, get your office on board and challenge your colleagues to never use a disposable cup again
• Get social and spread the message far and wide
Starting a conversation with your local cafe
For Petra McLoughlin it was as simple as talking to her customers and running with the idea.
And she admits there may be a bit of a halo effect that makes people feel good about coming in to a café that wear a heart on its green sleeve.
“I think so, but it’s not the reason I did it,” she said.
“Personally, I haven’t really promoted it heavily on Facebook; I remember when started, having a row of bring-your-own cups on my coffee machine, and I thought ‘wow, this is actually working’.
“I took a photo and I put that on Facebook (as a way of saying) people are doing it and it’s not so hard.
“I do see myself as a bit of a greenie and if there’s a way I can help the environment then I try and do that.”
Tips for coffee drinkers thinking of going reusable
The best tip she could provide to customers keen to change their behaviour?
“Put your bring-your-own cup in your bag the night before and you won’t forget it,” she said.
And does bringing your own cups slow a busy café down?
“It does a little bit but, again, we’re happy to do it,” she said.
“It’s no trouble. . . a lot of the cups don’t fit under our group heads but again it’s a small price to pay. The environment is more important.”
Image: Pictured from left customer Rachael Fallon with her BYO re-usable coffee cup, barista Paige Stephenson and café owner Petra McLoughlin.
Published 10 hours ago. Newcastle NSW 2300
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia

26-07-2018, 12:07 AM

Saturday morning, north west of Ballarat
By andrewtphoto · · From Pic of the Week
Drone shot over the house on Saturday morning, north west of Ballarat

Published 33 minutes ago. Ballarat Central VIC 3350
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia

26-07-2018, 12:07 AM

Waiting
By bruview · · From Pic of the Week
When you're waiting at the lights and look up to see a scene you scene.
Published 2 hours ago. Townsville City QLD 4810

Page 425 of 549 « First < 325 375 415 423 424 425 426 427 435 475 525 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top