Join for free
Page 21 of 47 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 01:46 PM

Re: Where Are All Those Marchers And Celebrities?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Anyway the marchers have wasted their time
Trumps visit is going ahead
http://yourbrexit.co.uk/news/breakin...utm_source=djc
Good news, but it won't stop the snowflakes whingeing.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
People need to be helped to fit in and strongly encouraged to learn English. Leaving them to it has not been successful.
And including a couple of dozen foreign languages on all official publications will encourage them, won't it?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 01:59 PM

I am always irritated when people say the English don't learn the language when they retire to the sun. People who retire to the sun usually take quite a chunk of money with them as well as a regular pension, they buy houses and services and in doing so create jobs.

You really cannot compare that with migrants coming to the UK often destitute with little intention of learning the language to enable them to earn a living so living off the state and requiring housing at the taxpayers expense. I know that's is not always the case but really to compare them to affluent pensioners choosing to live abroad is ridiculous
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I haven't misunderstood once again you are playing the religious aspect as ifs a virtue
When a man joins the army he knows that at some point he may be called upon to put his life on the line he doesn't get extra kudos because he follows a certain faith .
I'm not using it as a virtue I was saying if it needs spelling out and looks like it does just to you, that many Muslims are compatible with uk it's not as has been said a complete incompatible religion.

He doesn't want nor for I ask extra kudos for anything. Just equality does us fine.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And including a couple of dozen foreign languages on all official publications will encourage them, won't it?
I agree with you there, we shouldn't be spending like we do on translations, don't know if you see a show called gps behind closed doors but on there they put aside 6 appointments for each family member who can't speak English ! No wonder rest of us can't get appointments.

The original family members who came here and married into my family learned English within 6 months but that was when we didn't have translations as normal and no foreign tv channels so they had to learn pretty fast.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If governments in the past had invested in ensuring everyone speaks english we would not have needed such leaflets now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-02-2017, 02:27 PM

If governments in the past had invested in ensuring everyone speaks english we would not have needed such leaflets now.
Actually that's a point round here they've just closed the last language centre, not sure where immigrants are supposed to go now as most won't be able to pay the money to go private.

It's sad too for Brits as they have also stopped the basic maths and learn to read and write for adults courses too
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 02:33 PM

Why should it be the government's responsibility? If I wanted to move to a country , where they didn't speak English, it would be my responsibility to make sure I learned their language. If I couldn't learn it I would need to question how I intended to make a living in a country where I didn't speak the language.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-02-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Why should it be the government's responsibility? If I wanted to move to a country , where they didn't speak English, it would be my responsibility to make sure I learned their language. If I couldn't learn it I would need to question how I intended to make a living in a country where I didn't speak the language.
It's always been done though and I thought worked fairly well. Many immigrants come and do very low paid jobs they can't afford the fees at private schools. Perhaps employers should fund them though as they are gaining most from cheap labour.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-02-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Exactly. I have worked in Saudi Arabia and no-one offered to teach me Arabic. I learnt the basics that I needed for my work off my own bat.

We must be the softest country in the world, which is one reason they all want to come here instead of, say, France.

Page 21 of 47 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top