Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 11:44 AM

Nikon D800 v Nikon D810

I was wondering what difference there was between them in the pictures they produced

yes me playing again

So I did a simple test
Both cameras using the same lens on the same tripod with same settings of 1/125 second @f2.8 in same position with jpeg file unedited

First the Nikon D800 below that has the anti aliasing filter and second the D810 without the filter

may at first glance look the same until you look at the picture closer
The d810 is definately sharper.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Re: Nikon D800 v Nikon D810

The D180 is definitely sharper. Anti aliasing filters do tend to blur the image slightly.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 02:24 PM

It would be interesting to see the two cameras compared when shooting certain materials, patterned clothing, that can show moire though the camera without the anti aliasing filter.

My latest camera acquisition is one with sharp results using cheap lenses, has no built in anti aliasing filter, and I've never noticed a moire problem. But one can be unlucky with all sorts of subjects. Here's a pic (not mine) showing London's walkie talkie building.

... your next project Realspeed.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Dood
i really wanted to check in a real world situation against a lab kinda test.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Dood
i really wanted to check in a real world situation against a lab kinda test.
OK ... well I think you are now satisfied that the camera without the anti aliasing filter is sharper. I just thought you might like to prove to yourself that the one with the anti aliasing filter deals with moire better.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 10:24 PM

you cannot take a picture on one with the filter and the same picture on a different camera with the filter off and then get people to judge because the filter will make all the difference in the quality of the picture.

It you want to test the picture quality of both camera's and get peoples opinions, EVERYTHING has to be the same on both camera's,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
you cannot take a picture on one with the filter and the same picture on a different camera with the filter off and then get people to judge because the filter will make all the difference in the quality of the picture.

It you want to test the picture quality of both camera's and get peoples opinions, EVERYTHING has to be the same on both camera's,
This is true. To me they don't look much different. Neither of them look that sharp and the focus is different on each shot.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

25-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->

exactly that is what I set out to prove, the difference an AA filter makes, and the setting were the same on each camera
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

25-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
This is true. To me they don't look much different. Neither of them look that sharp and the focus is different on each shot.
That is because the lens was not fine tuned on each camera. In both cases the fine tune was on manufactures settings of zero (0).
see below

once I get around to correcting this setting things will get better.
Don't forget it is impossible on a telephoto lens to get spot on. one has to take several readings at min.mm setting and again at max.mm settings then take a mean average.

If with this lens i only used it at 200mm then the fine tune setup would be made for this distance. If I only used it at 70mm then it would have to be re calibrated

Even manufactures build to a tolerance and that can vary as to where the camera was built in

hence the tolerance difference so they are to within the same standard. I don't know but think it is about a 3% allowance either way, but would have to check on that.
This also allows a camera to also work in different climate conditions, from the heat in a desert to on of cold at the poles

So obviously there is going to be a focus difference between cameras to a degree, even using the same lens . This is why they incorporate in the menu the ability to fine tune to correct and focus issues
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

25-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Nikon D810 with 70-200mm lens recalibrated at 70mm corrected to +2
at a distance of 8 ft which seems to be ok at 200mm as well

camera set on A @f2.8 at 1/80 sec. at 18 ft it at 200mm gives a front focus of -2, which just shows it is impossible to get a correct focus at any distance with a telephoto lens

That is using a spyderlensCal as a target . This is why I genera!ly use the camera in manual mode

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top