Join for free
Page 5 of 20 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 08:46 PM

Re: Things from your childhood that no one will know now

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's a Knockout!
And while we're on the subject....Watching all of the Muhammad Ali fights on terrestrial TV. If Sky had been around then I wouldn't have been able to see history being made...
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Waiting for the telly to warm up
I remember slapping the top of the box to improve the picture.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And while we're on the subject....Watching all of the Muhammad Ali fights on terrestrial TV. If Sky had been around then I wouldn't have been able to see history being made...
Yes, that's a good point..... and Summertime Special - people dancing outside in a park and leaping over logs etc.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
And watching the little white dot disappear.
Did you rub your finger over the dot until it disappeared and pretend you were rubbing it out?

(They eventually put circuitry in TVs to stop that dot because it could burn the phosphors on the screen.)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Being sent to the C0-OP by My Mum and told to take My gird & cleek as it would get Me there and back faster
Translation please, May!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:11 PM

I remember being able to play in the road because there were no cars.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Did you rub your finger over the dot until it disappeared and pretend you were rubbing it out?

(They eventually put circuitry in the TVs to stop that dot because it could burn the phosphors on the screen.)
I used to turn the light off and rub the screen to see the white trail left behind my finger.

Sometimes if the light was off and you turned the tv off, you could still see someone's face left behind on screen which would slowly disappear.
Frankie1944
Herts uk
Frankie1944 is female  Frankie1944 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:14 PM

Oil Lamps for lighting and a Valour oil heater in the bedroom when ill. Mother black leading the kitchen range.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-11-2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Translation please, May!
Probably a leek and potato pie or something.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Translation please, May!
Gird and Cleek

The gird and cleek (or hoop and stick) dates from around 1910. A gird is a plain iron hoop. A cleek is attached by an iron loop. The cleek is used to push the gird along. Using the cleek takes practice. When it is mastered playing with a gird is simple. Before streets filled up with cars many children played with girds rolling them along roads or pavements. Boys and girls would have races. Girds could also be made using old bicycle wheels, and the cleek could be a stick. This would push the wheel along. Pupils enjoy trying to master the tricky Gird!

Sorry I can't show You a picture ST

Page 5 of 20 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top