Join for free
Page 6 of 20 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:12 PM

Re: Things from your childhood that no one will know now

Making and riding jiggers.

Having to sit or stand by the home phone because it was connected by a cable.

The A and B buttons in a public call box. Can anyone remember their purpose?

Starting car engines with a handle.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Making and riding jiggers.

Having to sit or stand by the home phone because it was connected by a cable.

The A and B buttons in a public call box. Can anyone remember their purpose?
From what I remember, you put your money in and dialled your number. When it was answered, you pressed button A to complete your call. If it wasn't answered, you pressed button B to get your money back.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
From what I remember, you put your money in and dialled your number. When it was answered, you pressed button A to complete your call. If it wasn't answered, you pressed button B to get your money back.
Ooh, ta.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Navy Blue Knee length knickers with pocket for hanky and two pennies.
Singing in the street in a circle :
The Farmers in his Den
The Farmers in his Den
E I N G O The Farmer in his Den
The Farmer pics a wife..etc.

Later Hotpants, and Jane Russell tight blouses, with bras pulled up to your ears, age sixteen.

"Get those clothes off now" shouted Father
I did, and sneaked them out in a bag and changed at the Dance Hall for over eighteens.
I knew the Door Man and promised him free Coffee in our Coffee Bar if he let my friends and I in.
Danced to Joe Loss and his Orchestra and fancied the Trumpeter. The Bandsmen just smiled and did not take advantage of girl's crushes.

Those were the days when boys and men did not swear, and all had good manners as well.

And..reading Lady Chatterley's Lover behind the Bike Shed
Oh My!

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Getting proper news off the BBC....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Getting proper news off the BBC....
Bloody 'ell, you have a good memory.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Bloody 'ell, you have a good memory.
Well at least Judd there wasn't a Welsh or Geordie bloke who I couldn't understand reading it.....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Gird and Cleek

The gird and cleek (or hoop and stick) dates from around 1910. A gird is a plain iron hoop. A cleek is attached by an iron loop. The cleek is used to push the gird along. Using the cleek takes practice. When it is mastered playing with a gird is simple. Before streets filled up with cars many children played with girds rolling them along roads or pavements. Boys and girls would have races. Girds could also be made using old bicycle wheels, and the cleek could be a stick. This would push the wheel along. Pupils enjoy trying to master the tricky Gird!

Sorry I can't show You a picture ST
I found a video:

It looks like it should be easy but, obviously, it isn't .....
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well at least Judd there wasn't a Welsh or Geordie bloke who I couldn't understand reading it.....
I faintly remember listening to Frank Philips and Alvar Lidell reading the wartime news on a crackly radio. Huge accumulators which had to be charged at the local garage. No television in them days where we were. No electricity, water had to be hand pumped from a well in our backyard. Oil tilley lamps, slates and slate pencils at school,food rationing. I remember going into our local town and the queues of people for the first shipment of bananas after the war.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Gird and Cleek

The gird and cleek (or hoop and stick) dates from around 1910. A gird is a plain iron hoop. A cleek is attached by an iron loop. The cleek is used to push the gird along. Using the cleek takes practice. When it is mastered playing with a gird is simple. Before streets filled up with cars many children played with girds rolling them along roads or pavements. Boys and girls would have races. Girds could also be made using old bicycle wheels, and the cleek could be a stick. This would push the wheel along. Pupils enjoy trying to master the tricky Gird!

Sorry I can't show You a picture ST
In other words, a hoop and a stick.

Page 6 of 20 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top