Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:29 AM

Re: How Do You Greet The Caller On Your Phone?

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You have to adopt the position, no one really wants to talk.
True. I hate it when the phone rings. Anybody who comes on trying to sell me something or asks "Could I speak to Mrs. F. please?", I say, very abruptly "It depends who it is who is asking. Who are you and where did you get this number from? And can I help you myself?" even before I disclose who we actually are.
If they say "I can't tell you what we want, I can only speak with Mrs. F", I say "well she's not available if you don't tell me who you are. Send her a letter with your question in the post" and usually put the phone down.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Depends on who it is, Artangel.

Friends - usually "Hello - then their name".
Unknown local numbers - just "Hello".

Out of area unknown numbers either go to voicemail or, if I am feeling wicked, are answered by "Hello - Mortuary!".
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Talk is a "Reflex" it leaves you answered with a question mark.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Talk is a "Reflex" it leaves you answered with a question mark.
Is that why all Australian sentences end with an upward inflection?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:51 AM

" This call is being recorded for training purposes"
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 09:47 AM

I don't say anything these days I wait and listen.

There are automated calling systems that are checking to see if is a 'live' number and it is helpful if they get a response even better a name. So I am not going to help them . Responding leaves you open to cold calls on your live number.

If I am expecting a call as in the other day I will say 'is that the garage' or whatever .

Most legitimate people will say 'Hello Mrs S this is your garage/dentist etc' before I have time to speak, Family call my mobile .
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 09:50 AM

The landline I answer with silence. I wait for them to speak as it's almost always a scam.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

There are automated calling systems that are checking to see if is a 'live' number and it is helpful if they get a response even better a name. So I am not going to help them . Responding leaves you open to cold calls on your live number.

If I am expecting a call as in the other day I will say 'is that the garage' or whatever .

Most legitimate people will say 'Hello Mrs S this is your garage/dentist etc' before I have time to speak, Family call my mobile .
That is actually a great idea. Just wait and see if they actually speak. If they keep saying "hello, is there anybody there?" then you know it's a human voice and you can then decide whether or not to reply. I'll try this out next time the phone rings
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 10:28 AM

I have an answer machine....I let it ring...when the machine takes over...if they start to leave a message,

If I feel like talking,I pick it up then say hi.then their name.other than that..they leave a message.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Ditto. I have call display. There aren’t a lot of calls I receive except from people I know cause I don’t answer them otherwise. I believe because I don’t answer them, my number isn’t sold to others.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top