Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Downsizing.

Hi

So many different views on here.

Yes, I loved my old house, out in the Country, Conservatory bigger than the whole of the Ground Floor here.

Times change, single. retired, I did not need it.

Stopped from driving for a year, which focuses the mind.

Now in an End Terrace Ex Council, big Garden and a conservatory.

Walking distance to everything , kids have had the money, no Inheritance Tax to worry about.

No mortgage, low Council Tax, a happy womble.

Not worried about the address or having a huge house, not my thing at all.

Yes, I do have problems with one set of neighbours, a fact of life.

You can have that anywhere, just a fact of life.

They will be dealt with.

No great shakes, bullies are easy.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 10:14 AM

Re: Downsizing.

There's always going to be a downside to everything, Swimmy. It's not a perfect world and there are pros and cons.

As you say, you enjoy where you live. It's convenient for many things and your family are more or less happy. You can't choose your neighbours beforehand unfortunately but I think you know that you have made the right decision ultimately

I'm very happy where I live. There are just me and Mrs. F and we live in a 3-bed semi-detached with a nice garden and have good neighbours. We are not bang in the middle of the city either and are five minutes' drive from the countryside, which suits us fine.

I have a friend and his wife who have just moved out into the countryside and have bought a bungalow near Hornsea, 15 miles away from us (and their grown-up family). It's not too far away but has no shops. They have a beach 500 yards away for dog walking and I hope to visit their new pad sometime this week. They have always lived in the town in a s small terraced but to them, this is till 'downsizing' as they have no upper floor anymore. They are not too far away from their friends, a short bus ride or car journey and I'm sure they will be happy.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 10:34 AM

There's nowt wrong with ex council houses because they will have been sturdily built in the first place and secondly they will have been maintained as and when the building needed attention, something often lacking in the private stock.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
There's nowt wrong with ex council houses because they will have been sturdily built in the first place and secondly they will have been maintained as and when the building needed attention, something often lacking in the private stock.
I agree.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:18 PM

It sounds like the right decision for you Swimmy

I wish I could 'downsize' I would like a maximum of two bedrooms but around here that means an apartment with high communal charges or a pretty cottage or bungalow that cost far more to buy than this house .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:28 PM

Hey Swim , can you come and help me sort out my unpleasant neighbours .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Hey Swim , can you come and help me sort out my unpleasant neighbours .
Careful what you wish for, Susan.
Asking Swimmy for this would certainly mean you get the works: A full battion of troops with tanks, horses and even a sea frigate. He'd make sure the enemy are totally nuked!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Swimmy, I envy you having an ex-council property.
My parents lived in a three-bedroom council house on a council housing estate from when they were first built, for over 20 years. When the last of us children left home, they didn't think it right that they should continue to live in what they deemed, a family home, so chose to downsize to a 2-bedroom maisonette in town, where they were equally happy.

I am so envious of the people that moved into that council home though. My parents really looked after it, the huge garden at the back with so much room to grow every vegetable dad wanted, and its beautiful lawned garden and battlement shaped hedgerows in the front, often brought remarks of how lovely it looked by people passing by.

Compared to matchbox houses being built nowadays, I think you made a wise choice moving into an ex-council property. They were built properly, with plenty of space and to an excellent standard back then.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Careful what you wish for, Susan.
Asking Swimmy for this would certainly mean you get the works: A full battion of troops with tanks, horses and even a sea frigate. He'd make sure the enemy are totally nuked!

All tongue in cheek floydy of course

But in truth my neighbours need to grow up because they need a big lesson in manners and respect
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 02:14 PM

Ideally everyone should live in a detached houses with a good sized garden separating them from the pests ( neighbours ) unfortunately this is for the privileged few .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top