Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Re: Royal Mail pull their usual annual stunt!

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Your postman is just a leaflet/brochure delivery person, these days.

They are required to stuff your letter box with Pizza leaflets, and other rubbish, and you can't even get them to stop doing it by having "no junk mail" stickers on the door.

I keep mine and put them all in the red pillar box as I walk past!

If we all did that it might stop!

It keeps prices lower than they otherwise would be.

In any case what's the big deal?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 12:51 PM

I just tear my junk mail up & put it in the recycling bag.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 04:36 PM

Well seeing as I don’t get much mail, I read the junk mail that comes through my letterbox. You never know there is some interesting stuff sometimes. Then I dispose of it into the recycle bin.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 06:23 PM

Just think of the poor postman having to deliver to every house, even if they don't have mail, in all weathers.....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just think of the poor postman having to deliver to every house, even if they don't have mail, in all weathers.....
I've noticed that I only receive leaflets and other 'junk mail' if there is addressed mail. Whether that's how the postman has been instructed or whether that's his own way to save delivering just 'junk mail' I don't know but that suits me.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I've noticed that I only receive leaflets and other 'junk mail' if there is addressed mail. Whether that's how the postman has been instructed or whether that's his own way to save delivering just 'junk mail' I don't know but that suits me.
When I worked for Royal Mail it was left to you how you delivered the 'Door to Doors' Baz. Sometimes you just took out the bundle and posted them in every door, then at least you didn't have them cluttering up you post all week.

Or, you could fill up your frame with them and only deliver them when the customer had mail. Everybody usually has addressed post at least once per week.

These are the 'Frames' that represent every house on your walk, and as you can see I have still got 'Door to Doors' to deliver. This was my preferred method of delivery having tried the previous method....

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the explanation OGF, interesting to know.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-02-2020, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

Thanks for the explanation OGF, interesting to know.
You're welcome Baz.....
I loved that job but it was a bit stressful when I first started...
It's hard to learn a new job in your late fifties.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You're welcome Baz.....
I loved that job but it was a bit stressful when I first started...
It's hard to learn a new job in your late fifties.....
Gosh I have never seen a frame like that. My walk frame was the standard sorting frame (was it 48 boxes?) each labelled with a street name, it was then up to you to sort each street in house order.

My walk was in central London (SW1) but was being redeveloped so I rarely went out with more than a handful of mail. I used to spend most of the first delivery in St James Park feeding the ducks because there was a time before which you could not sort for second delivery.

The second delivery used to take me about 20 minutes then I was off home.

Mail collection was another duty. not one I enjoyed particularly. There was too much running involved, using short cuts up alleys, darting through arcades while the van driver drove round the streets meeting you at suitable points. Those awful pillar boxes were designed to remove fingers too and the doors were a pain to open and close sometimes.

To be honest I much preferred sorting mail (counties and London postal districts) because it was indoors and you had someone either side to chat to. Not only that but the sorting office had its own bar (to stop postmen disappearing)

I hated facing mail but fortunately I was rarely on the facing tables - that is putting all the incoming mail face up stamp on the top right to go into the franking machine. When facing was going on I usually was put on packet frames ie sorting large envelopes and small packets by throwing them at a large horizontal sorting sorting frame.

This was the 1970s it was an entirely manual system in those days.

I was only a postman for slightly over six months but I quite enjoyed it. The only things I didn't like were the constant surveillance, even the toilets had one way glass, and the fact that you couldn't smoke except in the meal room and bar (I was a smoker then)

Did you have those two weeks of tests? throwing up 500 cards with just town names, no counties only three mistakes allowed, same thing London postal suburbs with names no districts (yes there really is a suburb called Cheam). Every evening I was learning them with my wife testing me ie Stourbridge is Staffs etc. This was before postcodes.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 01:43 AM

Actually I just remembered it was just after the 3 day week. Half the Christmas casuals were dismissed early because there was just not the usual Christmas mail rush that year.

Being winter probably had a lot to do with why I preferred the sorting office though, come to think of it, I used to cycle from Brixton to work (just off Horseferry Rd) - there was a cycle "shed" in the basement. We were not allowed to use our bikes for deliveries.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top