Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 05:34 PM

Florida Passes Proactive Anti-riot Law

Bravo to my state! Thugs aren't going to get away with rioting, violence, and destruction by hiding behind claims of peaceful protest in my state.:

The law a "riot" as a public disturbance involving three or more people "acting with the common intent to assist each other in violent and disorderly conduct" that results in injury to another person, damage to property, or danger of injury or damage.

The law grants civil immunity to people who drive into protesters who are blocking a road, prevents people accused of rioting from bailing out of jail until after their first court appearance, and increases penalties for assaulting law-enforcement officers while engaging in a "riot."

It also penalizes local governments that interfere with efforts to stop a riot and allows law-enforcement agencies that face funding reductions to file objections.

In a statement to NBC News last week, DeSantis said the legislation "strikes the appropriate balance of safeguarding every Floridian's constitutional right to peacefully assemble, while ensuring that those who hide behind peaceful protest to cause violence in our communities will be punished."
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 05:43 PM

Re: Florida Passes Proactive Anti-riot Law

That is NOT going to work out well. It's much needed but it's upping the stakes. Has to be done but as I wrote - it's not going to work out well.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 06:41 PM

That sounds like an excellent idea.

I particularly like this paragraph:
The law grants civil immunity to people who drive into protesters who are blocking a road, prevents people accused of rioting from bailing out of jail until after their first court appearance, and increases penalties for assaulting law-enforcement officers while engaging in a "riot."

That would really make our yobs think twice.

Sadly, I'm afraid that we British don't have the guts to do anything like that. We've been effectively brainwashed by snowflakes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 07:25 PM

Sounds good to me. I have nothing against peaceful protest but it always tends to end in a riot. Also, the vast majority of protests are lefty.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 07:36 PM

Well we've got the "Kill the Bill" protests taking place that so far have been pretty mild but here isn't exactly a tinderbox whereas America seems to be on the edge of something very much more volitile that may well be set off by this irrespective of how much it is needed. This may well be it, especially if it is repeated in other states.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 08:59 PM

AT, I can see the merits of what is in the PCSC bill, but I am wondering whether or not it would have been more easily passed if broken down? I believe I read that it is 300 plus pages?

Other than civil rights groups (never much interested in the civil rights of law-abiding citizens) howling over the Florida bill, the only reaction is that there are light breezes blowing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 04:29 AM

Be careful what you wish for, it can be an expensive business.

After the evening Redfern riots in 2004 the NSW Police rushed out and bought a very expensive $700,000 water cannon in case there was another outbreak of civil unrest. For the next nearly two decades its only use was as part of a ceremonial parade.

Finally the Police gave up on any hope of another riot and gifted the water cannon to the NSW Rural Fire Brigade where it is still in use as a water tanker.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 07:33 AM

The law grants civil immunity to people who drive into protesters who are blocking a road.
Am I reading this right .... WTF! That is NOT going to work out well.

The cops/military have to deal with the situation, not leave it to the rednecks.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Am I reading this right .... WTF! That is NOT going to work out well.

The cops/military have to deal with the situation, not leave it to the rednecks.
Hi

I agree

We have a wide range of very effective powers here in the UK.

We choose not to use them in many instances due to a lack of staff.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

21-04-2021, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I agree

We have a wide range of very effective powers here in the UK.

We choose not to use them in many instances due to a lack of staff.
Fear of retaliation from the rapidly expanding BAME more like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top