Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Re: Is it only me

I do find it jars, to the point of being off-putting sometimes, when an author (usually American) sets a book in an English town that I know and it bears no resemblance to reality. In these days of Google Streetview there is just no excuse.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I do find it jars, to the point of being off-putting sometimes, when an author (usually American) sets a book in an English town that I know and it bears no resemblance to reality. In these days of Google Streetview there is just no excuse.
That's a good point. I wonder how many authors use it as a guide?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 11:45 AM

When I start a book, I can't be bothered reading all the blurb at the front; where the author lives, this book is dedicated to....etc. When I have finished the book, that's when I get interested in where it was set etc.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
When I read a book I always have to go on to Google earth to see where the author is setting the scene

when they tell you they are driving down a road to some place I look to see where it actually goes because...... now this might upset some

they are telling fibs and these places do not exist
I use the internet whilst reading, especially when the book is historical or a biography. I like how on my iPad I have the facility to use maps and wikipedia to look up places and people I'm not clear about. Trouble is, sometimes it's easy to get sidetracked from the book.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
When I read a book I always have to go on to Google earth to see where the author is setting the scene

when they tell you they are driving down a road to some place I look to see where it actually goes because...... now this might upset some

they are telling fibs and these places do not exist
Are you talking about works of fiction or travel guides?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 07:25 PM

That Dan Brown rubbish is quite educational and gets me googling maps and wikipedia.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 07:27 PM

No, it's not just you. The site is full of people who can't put a decent thread title up.

Or at least refuse to.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 07:32 PM

John Grisham .. total rubbish, but I read one of his about Bologna and was totally hooked .... on streetview, checking restaurant menus and stuff ... still obsessed ten years on.

Maybe I need a holiday.
Jaybay
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
Jaybay is female 

04-09-2018, 04:33 PM

Peter May books are usually based around real places and I have actually followed his Lewis trilogy around Harris and Lewis and the places he describes actually exist. Also John Harvey based a series of books in Nottingham and reading them is like stepping back in time in my home town.
Ingurr
New Member!
Yorkshire
Ingurr is female 

20-12-2018, 08:26 PM

Elly Griffiths sets her books in and around King's Lynn. I remember when she mentioned a Tesco Extra and I had just been in that shop the same day. Although I'm in Yorkshire I've spent a lot of time in Norfolk.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top