Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 06:20 PM

Sue;s grass project

yes Sue has decided to have a patch of garden use for veg to be grassed over.
Can't really blame here for what we get out of it. Normally this area is for runner beans, the other area doesn't produce that much so I guess that is where they will be put.
The issue is that this area had/has a fairly large mound, not ideal for grassing over .So today just started to level it. the earth is like rock so will take a bit of time to prepare.

Today got as far as this

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 07:18 PM

Re: Sue;s grass project

I think I'd have wanted a pond with a fountain there.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
yes Sue has decided to have a patch of garden use for veg to be grassed over.
Can't really blame here for what we get out of it. Normally this area is for runner beans, the other area doesn't produce that much so I guess that is where they will be put.
The issue is that this area had/has a fairly large mound, not ideal for grassing over .So today just started to level it. the earth is like rock so will take a bit of time to prepare.

Today got as far as this

Good start, RS. Know the problem with the earth being like rock. We have that here. I think it is building rubble not properly cleared up. Our house had a significant extension before we moved here. It is very nice, beautifully finished which is what tempted us into buying it. There is a lovely sun deck at the end of the garden...........nice
But try to plant flowers in the borders? You need a pick and a shovel.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 07:34 PM

not with a dog and the gulls would crap in it, Tiff.I laid a big area of grass at the kennels, before it was just rubble.

This is what I laid,

before the new cat pens I bought was an old workshop falling down and 6 rickity home made cat pens

Update

Just marked out the area and got pleanty of loose earth for levelling so will order the turf tomorrow

Of course it does help if the wheel barrow tyre had air in it
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 09:19 PM

Those pens look good for the animals, RS. A bit like a small sized stable block.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 11:50 PM

You say the area was normally used for growing runner beans RS.
I can't help wondering if you got poor yields for two reasons -

1. From the photo, the soil looks like it needs some compost and nourishment.

2. Runner beans are not supposed to be grown on the same patch every year.

These things could have affected your crops.

Another idea, would it be easier to turn the area into a rockery, with perhaps a water feature and gravel area next to it? You could then add a nice bench seat or perhaps a table and chairs?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 12:00 AM

I was thinking - patio area.

Table, chairs, sunloungers - maybe a garden swing. Big sun umbrella....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-04-2020, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You say the area was normally used for growing runner beans RS.
I can't help wondering if you got poor yields for two reasons -

1. From the photo, the soil looks like it needs some compost and nourishment.

2. Runner beans are not supposed to be grown on the same patch every year.

These things could have affected your crops.

Another idea, would it be easier to turn the area into a rockery, with perhaps a water feature and gravel area next to it? You could then add a nice bench seat or perhaps a table and chairs?
we got good yields of runner beans. It is other crops like cabbages and peas which did produce but not a lot.
Got a rockery in another part of the garden and did you not see the bench seat on the paved area?
Don't forget Sue is "er who must be obeyed" if she wants grass then grass she will have
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-04-2020, 10:41 AM

Up early this morning to level off the area to be grassed, and ordered grass will come next wednesday. Dug down 6 inches to give the new grass a chance

far end still enough for decent veg plot
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 10:44 AM

Looks good RS....but I'm the opposite only having a very small garden I would love an area to grow veggies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top